Avid Pro Audio Community

Avid Pro Audio Community

How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Legacy Products > 003, Mbox 2, Digi 002, original Mbox, Digi 001 (Win)
Register FAQ Today's Posts Search

Old 12-20-2002, 11:39 PM

Default XP running slow

i just got a new Allen machine (2200) and a 001, with win XP and a ATI All in wonder Radeon 7500. Windows is running slow as hell though, and sound is doing strange things like going back and forth between L and R. Also, in PT, when i drag windows, they leave white trails that just sit there. Are these problems with the graphics card? this is my first experience with XP and i really want to punch something. i am novice, especially with XP so any advice would be greatly appreciated. -Skratch-
Old 12-21-2002, 03:15 AM

Default Re: XP running slow

Try doing some optimization to the machine (disabling everything you don't need in BIOS, don't touch the things you don't know for sure though), and XP: do a search on the DUC for a topic named "the XP Optimization thread"; after I did most of the tips listed there my AThlon 1800 on XP goes like an arrow, whereas before I had the same "trail" problems with screen redraws etc, it seems that it goes even faster than the same setup on 98SE.

Hope this helps
Old 12-21-2002, 09:47 AM

The redraw problem is a known PT bug.
Here's a work around.
Go to Control Panel > System > Advanced > Performance > Settings (button) > Visual Effects > Custom > Uncheck "show window contents while dragging".
Old 12-21-2002, 10:54 AM

word....thanks for the help.
Old 12-21-2002, 11:52 AM

Best way yet: web page [img]images/icons/grin.gif[/img]

Download free music at
http://www.nukmusic.com
nEVER uNDERESTIMATE kNOWLEDGE
Old 12-21-2002, 01:59 PM

I have the same machine, and had the same problems, including the slowness and the window dragging problem. After much frustration, I reformatted the system drive and reinstalled XP, it all of those glitches dissappeared. I only had protools installed, so the rebuild was relatively painless. Less pain than troubleshootong.

J
Old 12-21-2002, 02:08 PM

Microsoft loves poeple that do this! This means that they don't have to fix thier own OS bugs. Long history...

Make sure to check your device manager for video card driver conficts. Your machine should be fast enough to work through "show while dragging" issue but I do recommend disabling it for max performance.

Reinstall the OS should always be the last effort because you don't learn anything that makes your system more stable and faster but you do what you have to do, right?!

Good luck.
Old 12-21-2002, 05:33 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by G.roots:
Reinstall the OS should always be the last effort because you don't learn anything that makes your system more stable and faster but you do what you have to do, right?!
<font size="2" face="Verdana, Arial">not really. the very best thing you can do is get your setup perfectly optimized and organized, then make a ghost image. then if there's a problem, if troubleshooting doesn't work quickly, you don't have to reinstall anything - just ghost it back to its original, perfectly optimized state...