Avid Pro Audio Community

How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Pro Tools Software > Tips & Tricks
Register FAQ Today's Posts Search

Old 06-01-2011, 07:28 AM

Default Pro tools MP 9 No Cost Upgrade

Got an e-mail a couple of weeks ago with this fancy offer. sounded ok to me and went ahead to get the upgrade. yeah, right. error messages like ilok problems and so on. what to do? try and get in touch with someone at avid. Lucky them, you can't even send them a question without paying for it??!! anyone who knows what to do?
Mats
Old 06-01-2011, 08:35 AM

Default Re: Pro tools MP 9 No Cost Upgrade

Are you sure this was a real offer from AVID and not some warez site or some scam?

If you buy this kind of thing from a listed AVID dealership you can avoid this, and get support when you have a problem...
[email protected]
631 786 3924

Freelance Mac/Pro Tools tech for hire. Metro New York Area.
Old 06-03-2011, 11:10 PM

@promixr, it could be the legitimate offer. If you purchased and registered PT M-Powered 8 after 3/5/11, Avid sent an email offer for a free upgrade to PT MP 9. (towards the bottom of http://www.avid.com/US/products/protoolsmp). Avid sent out the emails mid-May when they released MP 9.

Fortunately, my upgrade went pretty smoothly, but a couple potential pitfalls are apparently causing headaches for some.

Specifically, the first step in the upgrade is you have to surrender the MP 8 license to get the MP 9 license. When you have the license, then you download the 3.9 GB installer file, and then you find out if it'll even work on your system. If the install doesn't go smoothly, then you're stuck until you get MP 9 working. You've given up your license to MP 8, so you can't go back to what was working before. Is Avid allowing anyone to swap their MP 9 license back to MP 8?

I feel lucky that my upgrade went smoothly & I have a working system.
Old 07-04-2011, 07:09 AM

Hi!, I also upgraded my MP8 to MP9 (no cost upgrade), and I experienced no problems.

First, you need to download the installer, then, you need to download your new license to your ilok, when you do this, your previous licence (MP8) is overwritten and lost, you can´t go back.

Where you able to install MP9 properly?, check the system requirements first. I was running Snow Leopard 10.6.6 when I installed my MP8, I needed to download an upgrade (MP 8.0.3) because MP 8.0 didn´t work (installer jam near the end of the installation), may be you are missing and upgrade for your system. Also download the latest driver for your hardware.

I'm currently running Snow Leopard 10.6.7. and It works just fine.