Avid Pro Audio Community

Avid Pro Audio Community

How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Other Products > MIDI
Register FAQ Today's Posts Search

Old 04-24-2008, 03:36 AM

Default How do you seperate a MIDI beat for audio recording?

Example:

I sequence a MIDI beat in PT using a kit from an external device (in my case, a Fantom X6). I now want to record the beat into "seperate audio" tracks (bass drum = track 1, snare = track 2, etc...). PT is driving the Fantom's sound engine, and I am capturing the audio from the Fantom's "outs".

What is the most efficient way to achieve this?

I can alter the velocity of each instrument within the MIDI data (i.e, make all velocities 0 expect for the bass drum (in essence soloing the bass drum), record the bass drum audio on track 1...make all the velocities 0 except for snare, repeat process...); however, there must be an easier way (I would think anyway).

I can mute indvidual parts of the kit within the Fantom; however, this process is just as time consuming.

Just to be clear, the time consumption involved with recording individual tracks does not bother me; it's the process of seperating the indivudual instruments in a MIDI driven beat that does. It would be nice if I could simply select a portion of my MIDI data, mute it, record the unmuted audio upon playback, etc.. But, this option doesn't seem to exist as far as I am aware.

Actually, it may be a bit noob, but the whole concept has me baffled a bit. If a producer creates a beat of any kind for any style of music, I assume they would want seperate tracks when it comes time to record the audio for control, production, and mixing's sake. How is this typically acheived? What is the prefered method?

Any tips or education is very appreciatted.

Thanks,
Old 04-24-2008, 03:53 AM

Default Re: How do you seperate a MIDI beat for audio recording?

Event operations (menu) > Select/split notes. Under "Action" you select split notes, and that you want a new track per pitch. Now you can mute kit elements via tracks instead of dragging velocity around.
Old 04-24-2008, 04:03 AM

Default Re: How do you seperate a MIDI beat for audio recording?

AHAAAAA! Seems to make perfect sense...

Thx for clarifying that concept to an appreciative noob...

Cheers.