How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Pro Tools Software > Pro Tools
Register FAQ Today's Posts Search

Old 02-29-2024, 01:02 PM

Default 0x0000000000000040.

Hey folks..
I reinstalled windows 11 and the newest pro tools, but can't seem to get past the splash screen.
It's bombing out with an error saying..

Access violation occurred, unable to read location: 0x0000000000000040.

I've tried reinstalling to no avail..anyone have any ideas?

Thanks..
Old 02-29-2024, 02:30 PM

Default Re: 0x0000000000000040.

Reinstalling Pro Tools is almost always a waste of time.

Without any other info you should just run the standard troubleshooting tests, if you wiped the disk and this was a totally clean Windows install and you never installed additional plugins above the core ones then obviously skip the plugin tests parts. And yes uninstalling and reinstalling Pro Tools is there, but far from the first thing to try. See "Help us Help You" up the top of every DUC web page.

Some clarity would likely help:

Your reinstall of Windows 11 was a complete wipe of the disk partition or you installed over another install?

Is this just Pro Tools starting up itself with no session loaded?

When does this error happen in the startup? What exactly do you see on the screen? This crashes before or after the plugins load? Before or after the session opens?

What is in the Pro Tools log file? Compare that to previous log files (if you have them, maybe in a backup) where Pro Tools starts up OK. C:\Users\<USER>\AppData\Local\Avid\Logs

What interface and exact driver and version is Pro Tools using... not what you think but what is it actually trying to do. i.e. Hold down the 'N' key on startup. Does it crash before it gets to the playback engine dialog? If it gets that far can you select the correct driver/device?

Still stuck, post a SiSoft Sandra report. Was anything else done beside a clean? or dirty? Windows 11 install? Why was that reinstall done? What problem were you trying to solve?

If you have a backup can you roll back to that?
Old 02-29-2024, 02:37 PM

Good questions from Darryl. More thoughts:
1-download Ccleaner(its free) and run its Registry cleaner function(repeat until it reports no issues found)
2-Whenever you install any version of Pro Tools, ALWAYS uninstall any previous version of PT(never install as an update to an existing version). This is for Windows users
3-Assuming you have a connected audio interface and still can't run PT, my approach would be to uninstall PT, run Ccleaner until the Registry is clear of any issues, download PT again(maybe your installer got corrupted?) and(after a reboot) run the installer again(do NOT use the Run as Admin option).

The better I drink, the more I mix

BTW, my name is Dave, but most people call me.........................Dave
Old 02-29-2024, 04:15 PM

albee, why "do NOT run as administrator"?
SonoBus
Source-Connect: brucehayward
Options for Remote Direction
Old 02-29-2024, 04:55 PM

Call me old fashioned, but I'd focus a bit more on doing some assessment/troubleshooting of the patient before rushing in with a scalpel.
Old 03-01-2024, 12:24 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Darryl Ramm View Post
Call me old fashioned, but I'd focus a bit more on doing some assessment/troubleshooting of the patient before rushing in with a scalpel.
Yes, this.

I had the exact same error 2 weeks ago. Turned out to be the beta of u-he's Zebralette 3 - once removed everything was back to normal (incidentally a week later the same beta was happily working so go figure).

I'd start with the plugins. Move them all out, and if it loads put them back in chunks til you find something that breaks. More than once I've done this and ended up with them all back unchanged. Again, go figure.

PT 2024 Ultimate; W11 Pro; Ryzen 9 7900; 64gb RAM; RME Babyface; UAD Quad Satellite USB; GTX 1050i
Macbook Air M2; 24gb RAM
Old 03-01-2024, 02:04 AM

These errors happen with attempted reads or writes from a corrupted memory pointer. Plugins are a very likely cause. Other internal bugs might cause these as well, including bugs caused by OS components like dynamic libraries. But then these problems would likely hit many more users. Plugins remain the most likely cause because they can easily cause the problem in principle and the huge differences between install configs helps keep them relatively rare. For these to be a purely Pro Tools internal caused problem is rarer, but might happen say with a bug triggered by a corrupt session or maybe bad interaction with a buggy driver etc.. And that’s some hand waving but also why standard troubleshooting here is a good idea, as it is in many cases. Nobody can guess the answer but you play the game of what is most likely and do big significant tests to quickly exclude things, like moving out all .aaxplugin files and quickly exclude plugins as the cause or not.
Old 03-01-2024, 12:00 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Weed View Post
albee, why "do NOT run as administrator"?
This is a holdover from the Windows 7 days. Windows 10/11 don't require this. I was doing this on Windows 10 and had some troubles and took the advice of an Avid tech and stopped doing that. Many of my troubles went away(though I can't promise it will help in this particular case)

Posting a Sandra Lite report might reveal a hardware incompatibility(click the link near the top called Help Us Help You for more info)

The better I drink, the more I mix

BTW, my name is Dave, but most people call me.........................Dave
Old 03-02-2024, 08:29 PM

Thanks folks..
I went through the plugins and turns out diva was causing it..I've tried reinstalling but keeps giving that error..
Old 03-02-2024, 10:27 PM

Great you found a suspect plugin, please let the vendor know. These kind of faults are usually relatively easy for a plugin developer to track down, and even if it is some chain of events where Pro Tools has broken something for the plugin those developers are best positioned to get a fix done.