Avid Pro Audio Community

How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Pro Tools Hardware > Pro Tools | Carbon
Register FAQ Today's Posts Search

Old 12-26-2023, 06:01 PM

Default Carbon 2.1 Monitoring?

Hey all! I'm new to the forum. I'm coming from a Metric Halo ULN-8 and I'm trying to figure out if my Carbon can be set up in a 2.1 monitoring configuration with volume control from the volume dial on the face of the unit.

I want to used Dirac Live Processor with Bass Control to be able to dial in my JBL 708p's and Adam Sub 12, but I'd like to continue using the Carbon as my monitor controller. Is this possible? I've seen how to do it for 5.1 or Atmos, but not a simpler 2.1 configuration.

Any advice?
Old 12-29-2023, 04:48 AM

Default Re: Carbon 2.1 Monitoring?

There is no 2.1 surround configuration on the Carbon - only 2,6,8 or 10 channels. So you would have to fudge it - there is no way I can think of to control a 2.1 with the volume control of Carbon (short of using the 6 channel configuration as 5.1 and then not using 3 of the channels).

I use a Genelec 7070 sub, which is in-line, so only needs two channel output from the Carbon.

EDIT: I can see the Adam sub has the same option to run in-line as the Genelec, but I don't understand how the Dirac works - is it a physical device or software - I assume you are trying to control the sub level separately from the rest of the mix?

Dominic

Last edited by dominicperry; 12-29-2023 at 04:58 AM.
Old 12-30-2023, 07:17 PM

Default Re: Carbon 2.1 Monitoring?

I think you're correct that there isn't an easy way to do it. Dirac is software based and Dirac Live Bass control helps phase and time align subs with the mains (and surrounds if you're using them). You need an unused output for each sub. The tricky part is controlling the volume of all of them after running the room corrections.