Avid Pro Audio Community

How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Pro Tools Hardware > Pro Tools | Carbon
Register FAQ Today's Posts Search

Old 12-20-2023, 01:46 PM

Default Carbon - general setup questions

Some general Carbon questions for a very simple setup.

- Can my internet-ethernet cable be plugged into the Carbon? Currently, my mac studio receives internet via hardwire ethernet connection. But the mac only has 1 ethernet port, which will instead be used to connect to the Carbon. But the Carbon has 2 ethernet ports. Can my internet be plugged into the 2nd ethernet port on the Carbon? If not, then what is that 2nd ethernet port used for?
- Is the carbon capable of hosting 5.1 (or more)? I hope to build a small surround-mixing space with at least 5.1.
- Can ALL of my computer sounds be routed through the Carbon? Ideally, any sound-playback from the Mac (youtube, system sounds, iTunes, etc) would be coming through the Carbon, not just Pro Tools sounds. Hopefully Pro Tools doesn’t even need to be open for my system sounds to all come through.
- If the Carbon can playback all of my sound sources (as mentioned above), then is there any use for the rear audio-out jack on the Mac Studio? Currently my stereo speakers are connected through this jack. But it seems like I would have no further practical use for it (which is fine, I just want to make sure I’m planning correctly).
Old 12-20-2023, 02:29 PM

Default Re: Carbon - general setup questions

Quote:
Originally Posted by jgiannis View Post
Some general Carbon questions for a very simple setup.

- Can my internet-ethernet cable be plugged into the Carbon? Currently, my mac studio receives internet via hardwire ethernet connection. But the mac only has 1 ethernet port, which will instead be used to connect to the Carbon. But the Carbon has 2 ethernet ports. Can my internet be plugged into the 2nd ethernet port on the Carbon? If not, then what is that 2nd ethernet port used for?
- Is the carbon capable of hosting 5.1 (or more)? I hope to build a small surround-mixing space with at least 5.1.
- Can ALL of my computer sounds be routed through the Carbon? Ideally, any sound-playback from the Mac (youtube, system sounds, iTunes, etc) would be coming through the Carbon, not just Pro Tools sounds. Hopefully Pro Tools doesn’t even need to be open for my system sounds to all come through.
- If the Carbon can playback all of my sound sources (as mentioned above), then is there any use for the rear audio-out jack on the Mac Studio? Currently my stereo speakers are connected through this jack. But it seems like I would have no further practical use for it (which is fine, I just want to make sure I’m planning correctly).
First and foremost it's a pretty good idea to list your system (see my Signature line below)

OK In order ::

No the Network router cannot be plugged into the second Ethernet port on the Carbon . That port is to connect an additional Carbon Pre to expand the Pre amp count to 16
I don't know if you can use a hub with an ethernet port to plug router into and then go out a USB C or like to Mac ?
Or if you have to set up your router to do wireless to Mac ?

Yes the Carbon can support 5.1

Yes the Carbon can play all computer sounds as well as other DAWs just no DSP
for any but PT

No PT does not need to open to playback computer sounds thru Carbon just turn on Carbon and boot computer
However PT can be open and you can switch back and forth from PT to computer sounds or other DAW without closing PT or closing PT session

Personally I would connect my studio monitor speakers to the Carbon's Monitor outs and that way all computer sounds will go thru them or the headphone outs on the Carbon

Enjoy the Journey
.... Kev...

Last edited by K Roche; 12-20-2023 at 02:45 PM.
Old 12-21-2023, 10:31 AM

I would leave the ethernet cable connected to your mac for hardwired internet.

Then use one of these guys https://www.sonnettech.com/product/t.../overview.html which is the only certified adapter for use with carbon.

I "think" this would work, but someone would have to confirm from AVID.
Old 12-21-2023, 10:55 AM

Or you can use the double-dongle............

https://avidtech.my.salesforce-sites...n-Requirements

see the section called "Network Requirements & AVB Adapters"

Dominic
Old 12-21-2023, 02:26 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by eightamrock View Post
I would leave the ethernet cable connected to your mac for hardwired internet.

Then use one of these guys https://www.sonnettech.com/product/t.../overview.html which is the only certified adapter for use with carbon.

I "think" this would work, but someone would have to confirm from AVID.
Well as noted by dominic the Apple double adaptor works as well which is what I use
I believe that sonnetech one will work However can confirm that originally I bought an Amazon basics that looked like the sonnetech you linked and it did not work
https://www.amazon.com/AmazonBasics-...4EALw_wcB&th=1

Enjoy the Journey
.... Kev...
Old 12-24-2023, 09:16 AM

I prefer the sonnetech over the double dongle. It's a bit pricey but also more robust and purpose built. I use it both on my mac studio and MBP.

The other adapters out there in the world "might" work but mileage varies and more than likely will not work at all.. I have 3 off-brand adapters that will not work at all.