Avid Pro Audio Community

How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Pro Tools Software > Pro Tools
Register FAQ Today's Posts Search

Old 11-19-2023, 07:41 PM

Default Re: Instrument tracks frequently not working on 2023.6

Yeah, I have gotten this a few times recently on 2023.9..win 11..
Old 11-19-2023, 08:12 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by innerbooty View Post
I have been on the verge of pulling the trigger on an Mac Studio M2 Max for a while now, but reading posts like this just scares the crap out of me, and I can't bring myself to do it. I'm running PT 2021.6 on a 5,1 2009 8-Core Cheesegrater with HDX and UAD Octo and it is super solid and reliable. I'm excited to have WAY more processing power. But if it means having all these maddening MIDI glitches, not to mention the graphics problems I was reading about in another thread, and who know what else, it's simply not worth it. Ugh...

Why does Avid seem completely unable to release a version of Pro Tools that doesn't introduce new terrible bugs, while also not resolving previous terrible bugs that have been there for years...??
I've been hanging on the 5,1 as well. Figured with Silicone, it might take a few years to really get things working well.
Things are still working well anyway, but I know eventually support and software will cease.
I'll turn the 5,1 in to a host/stem recorder.

I've got this:
https://www.bluecataudio.com/Product...uct_Connector/

V1.0 did not work for me, so I might try the latest update. Maybe taking some Vi's out of PT is a good idea.
Almost every plugin
Old 11-20-2023, 12:57 AM

OK...I've just had this happen again with kontakt (which is the only instrument I've seen it with..)

I had a look..it seems pro tools is changing all the outputs to outputs 31/32 in the kontakt output page..
Old 11-20-2023, 04:27 AM

Yeah, and if you've got "almost every plugin" it's gonna' be forever until you can run native in Silicon! I've toyed a lot with the idea of just getting a later, more souped up used 5,1, which is a plan I may revert back to. I could see a lot of improvement that way. And buy myself some time.

One of the main reasons I want to upgrade to an M2 is so I can run more VIs, and if the whole thing is just full of bugs it's a recipe for endless frustration - and missed deadlines!

EDIT: A quick eBay search reveals I can get a massively souped up 12-Core 3.33 w/ 128GB RAM for $500. I'm on an 8-Core 2.66 now. But if I buy this as an interim computer while I wait for Avid to release a fully stable new version of Pro Tools, while I be waiting forever...??

Quote:
Originally Posted by audiolex1 View Post
I've been hanging on the 5,1 as well. Figured with Silicone, it might take a few years to really get things working well.
Things are still working well anyway, but I know eventually support and software will cease.
I'll turn the 5,1 in to a host/stem recorder.

I've got this:
https://www.bluecataudio.com/Product...uct_Connector/

V1.0 did not work for me, so I might try the latest update. Maybe taking some Vi's out of PT is a good idea.

Last edited by innerbooty; 11-20-2023 at 05:08 AM.
Old 11-20-2023, 05:05 AM

You can run on a Mx machine in Rosetta - still very fast. Or you can pick up a used Mac Pro 2019 if you want a nice reliable Xeon chip with (loads of) ECC memory for VIs. Just watch out for the electricity consumption.

Dominic
Old 11-20-2023, 05:26 AM

Those 2019 Mac Pros are expensive! And as for running in Rosetta, it seems like all the problems described in this thread happen even more in Rosetta mode than they do in Native mode. That's what I'm hoping to avoid. Having a super fast machine is no benefit if there are bugs all over the place...
Old 11-20-2023, 07:17 AM

Is this being looked at by AVID? or just being ignored?
Another problem amongst a host of others is:
If you copy PART of a midi region that is muted (greyed out) but in a track with other midi regions that are not greyed out and paste it to another location, the muted clip will become active unmuted. This was not an issue previously.

If the muted region is selected in it's entirety, then the copy and paste is correct.

AVID please respond here with the case number or whatever you call it that shows these issues are being addressed.

7,1 2019 Mac Pro Running OS Ventura 13.6 / 16 Core 3.2G / 384G Ram, 2TB NVMe System, Session and Library drives. PT 2023.9 / HDX1 / HD i/o / UAD Octo Card.

Last edited by irispill; 11-20-2023 at 08:25 AM.
Old 11-29-2023, 08:05 AM

Hello all, could you confirm whether it is safe to roll back my latest 2023.9 Ultimate HDX install to 2023.3 on an Intel Xeon Mac running Ventura 13.6?

It seems a number of issues started with 2023.6 in tracking these problems. Not sure if this is correct though as I was happily working on an older PT system with none of these issues. Got to love progress...

2023.3 seems to be the last version available in the download center prior to 2023.6.

Could you also advise whether rolling back this far would address the incorrect white lines during editing regions and the host of midi issues described by myself and many others. Or if an even earlier version would be better. I don't need all the wiz bang features Avid is offering if my daily workflow is being constantly interrupted by stupid problems and bugs.

I have read by others that just running the installer will take care of deleting the currently installed version and associated files but just want to make sure.

I've also read that I should delete the PT app from the app folder first.

Could you advise please as to the best method to roll back my current 2023.9 installation without incurring more problems please and just how far to roll back to address the above issues?

Thanks in advance for any advice from all the veterans out there!

7,1 2019 Mac Pro Running OS Ventura 13.6 / 16 Core 3.2G / 384G Ram, 2TB NVMe System, Session and Library drives. PT 2023.9 / HDX1 / HD i/o / UAD Octo Card.
Old 11-29-2023, 10:58 AM

I'm following all this closely since I use MIDI a lot, and have been obsessing over when - or even whether - to upgrade. I just logged into the Avid Pro Tools Download Center and I am seeing versions going back to PT 10. I'm guessing different subscription / license types see different available downloads...?
Old 12-07-2023, 11:31 AM
Avid

Quote:
Originally Posted by audiogamble View Post
To clarify, in my original post I am describing a situation where VI's do not play back despite channel assignments being all correct.

But you are right, this is a common occurrence for years now and also an annoyance.
Hi, there's an on going case under your account regarding this. 04723698

You'll be contacted via the support case (Email).

For those who are still having the issue, please feel free to create a support case HERE under Technical Support. Once you have a support case, please feel free to reply on this thread with your case number so I can check and followup. Thank you every one!

To create a support case with Avid Support, go to https://www.avid.com/learn-and-suppo...-music-support

www.topedomingo.com