How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Legacy Products > Pro Tools 2020
Register FAQ Today's Posts Search

Old 11-10-2023, 05:17 PM

Default Protools studio? Aurora

hey
im trying to find info on protools studio. Im currently a tdm user but want to upgrade to studio.
i have a lynx auora 16 converter that I'm trying to use with either thunderbolt (if i can find one) or there aes card with a thunderbolt chassie.
I;m surprised there isn;t more info out there on you tube and the like.
could someone steer me in the right direction? tks
Old 11-10-2023, 06:27 PM

Default Re: Protools studio? Aurora

Quote:
Originally Posted by pie55 View Post
hey
im trying to find info on protools studio. Im currently a tdm user but want to upgrade to studio.
i have a lynx auora 16 converter that I'm trying to use with either thunderbolt (if i can find one) or there aes card with a thunderbolt chassie.
I;m surprised there isn;t more info out there on you tube and the like.
could someone steer me in the right direction? tks
There is a lot of information available online about Pro Tools Studio. Start here: https://www.avid.com/pro-tools, and from there info on included plugins, licensing options, product version difference etc.

And make sure you look here: https://avidtech.my.salesforce-sites...m-Requirements

Pro Tools (all versions) will work with any CoreAudio or ASIO interface, all you need to do is make sure you can connect the interface to your computer and there is a driver compatible with your operating system version. All that is between you and the interface vendor.

I would run not walk: https://reverb.com/item/66463093-lyn...ilo-and-aurora

You also have a LT-USB card for the Aurora 16, but I assume you are after lower latency.

If you have specific questions you can often find answers by googling DUC with the site:duc.avid.com qualifier or ask the question here.

As you likely know many HD features are now in Studio, with the major exception of key features focused on post. Starting with multiple video tracks/clips, field recorder workflow, etc.

You give no hard info about what you have besides "TDM". If you have Pro Tools 9 HD or 10 HD (but not earlier) you can upgrade to Pro Tools Ultimate Perpetual (e.g. with this: https://www.sweetwater.com/store/det...ort-for-1-year) you must purchase this from a reseller. You cannot buy any "upgrade" from Pro Tools HD to Studio. If you want Studio you would purchase a new perpetual license (e.g. this: https://vintageking.com/avid-pro-too...petual-license) and you can potentially sell your old HD license, maybe with your TDM gear. These are perpetual licenses that last forever but you stop getting new updates to the software after 12 months, at which time if you want you can buy another annual update plan. Or not, and wait and buy one when you want to update. Be aware that these products include extras like the Avid Complete Plugin Bundle, that come as an annual subscription and those plugins stop working if the update/support plan ends/is not renewed. And yes, expect Avid to change licensing/upgrade details again, at some random time.

I would get a perpetual license not a subscription, you want to know this will work when you need it/not expire. And for the same reason, use a physical iLok, you must have a second or third gen iLok... get a third gen metal one. Don't waste time on iLock cloud.

Last edited by Darryl Ramm; 11-10-2023 at 09:25 PM.
Old 11-11-2023, 05:42 AM

Default Re: Protools studio? Aurora

thanks for the reply. I have read the links you provided.
I'm wondering why there isn't a "studio" section in the user conference.

I'm using Protools hd 8.1.1 on a mac pro os 10.6.8.

I contacted Lynx and they said using the aes 16e pci card with a thunderbolt chasie would work.

the thunderbolt card you recommended is for aurora n not the silver. ive been trying to find the 1st gen thunderbolt card for months now.

I'm waiting to hear from LYNX for more info on the aes16e card and how it would integrate into a protools studio system. if the card only exepts aes ins and outs, or the analog i/o too.