Avid Pro Audio Community

How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Legacy Products > Pro Tools 11
Register FAQ Today's Posts Search

Old 02-02-2017, 08:06 AM

Default Pro Tools 11.3.1 / M-Audio Fast Track Pro

I just downloaded the most recent driver for the Fast Track Pro. I use Pro Tools 11.3.1 on Windows 7. Since downloading the new driver for my M-Audio Fast Track Pro and upgrading from Pro Tools 10.3.10 to 11.3.1, I noticed that when I enable the recording for tracks in Pro Tools, I hear much more background noise than before through my headphones, but I never adjusted the gain or any setting on my Fast Track Pro since I'm using my same presets for things. The mic seems to be picking up much differently without having changed any setting on either Pro Tools or my Fast Track Pro. I noticed the change when I went from 10.3.1 to 11.3.1, so maybe there's a new setting that changed from the two versions that I don't know about. Any help with this?

Last edited by skateboardharvey; 02-02-2017 at 10:49 PM.
Old 02-03-2017, 12:06 PM

Default Re: Pro Tools 11.3.1 / M-Audio Fast Track Pro

I know you don't want to hear this, but I would take this as a good excuse to dump the M-Audio and buy a new interface. Oddly enough, anything from M-Audio is not exactly "pro"

The better I drink, the more I mix

BTW, my name is Dave, but most people call me.........................Dave
Old 02-05-2017, 09:23 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by skateboardharvey View Post
Could it be that going from Pro Tools 10.3.10 to Pro Tools 11.3.1 with the latest driver for the M-Audio Fast Track Pro there were setting changes in the program or driver since version 10 that could be affecting the gain levels?

It was working completely fine in Pro Tools 10.3.10. When I downloaded Pro Tools 11.3.1 with the latest driver for the M-Audio Fast Track Pro I started hearing this difference. I haven't changed any knobs on the interface or in Pro Tools, so it shouldn't be any different. When I enable a track for recording, it's fine. When I enable my second track for recording, since I like to double my vocals, I now hear more background noise as if the gain was turned all the way up when it isn't.
PT version doesn't make any difference in what you're hearing. See the responses in your other thread on this.

QAPLA!
Old 02-05-2017, 05:57 PM

Quote:
I also had to update to the latest driver for my M-Audio Fast Track Pro. Could this new driver update change the way I'm hearing sound through my microphone?
Nope.

QAPLA!
Old 02-06-2017, 05:08 AM

Quote:
Not even a Fast Track Pro setting like buffer/latency, etc?
Nope and nope.

QAPLA!
Old 02-06-2017, 09:37 AM

Quote:
I just found an interesting detail. When I enable my tracks for recording without even having an XLR cable plugged into input 1, I hear the static noise in my headphones (without the mic connected at all). This makes me believe that it is in fact the driver update for the Fast Track Pro?

The best way I can describe the problem is when I enable the tracks for recording, I hear a constant static noise. Before playback or recording or anything. As soon as the red lights for recording are on, I hear a constant static noise.
Bad drivers are one of the two reasons I suggest getting rid of that interface

The better I drink, the more I mix

BTW, my name is Dave, but most people call me.........................Dave
Old 02-06-2017, 02:19 PM

What headphones are you using? Try a different pair.
SonoBus
Source-Connect: brucehayward
Options for Remote Direction
Old 02-07-2017, 01:46 AM

Quote:
When I enable a track for recording, it's fine. When I enable my second track for recording, since I like to double my vocals, I now hear more background noise as if the gain was turned all the way up when it isn't.
Are you recording on two tracks at once, with the same source?
If so, that would explain it, I think.
Old 02-07-2017, 07:37 AM

Quote:
When I enable a track for recording, it's fine. When I enable my second track for recording, since I like to double my vocals, I now hear more background noise as if the gain was turned all the way up when it isn't.
Quote:
I've recorded on two tracks at once for about 6 years now and have never heard the constant static noise. It was ever since I went from Pro Tools 10.3.10 to 11.3.1. Could it be a compatibility issue with my interface being qualified for 11 and maybe not the updates after that? I'm thinking it might be smart to try Pro Tools 10 once again.
Recording two tracks simultaneously with the same input will result in two identical tracks. Pretty much pointless. And it's certainly not doubling or dubbing. And listening the two record enabled tracks with the same input will just sound like one mono, but double the level. That's +6db. That's why you hear the mic and it's background noise louder. Just drop that extra track and I bet it will sound like before.

Doubling means recording the same performance performed twice. You should try it, and you'll see what I mean.

I don't know about the constant static noise, but I think it's extremely unlikely it has to do with PT versions.
Old 02-07-2017, 01:23 PM

Quote:
I think it might just be time for my Fast Track Pro to go. I don't think it was made to be used for Pro Tools 11. I've been recording double for a long time and it has sounded the best for my music. I have one set lower with more reverb, then a louder one with less reverb and that has led to having better quality songs. I'm an artist, but I record/mix my own music too. I'm not an expert with software, but I've learned to sound how I want.
Well, I stand by what I said.
That "doubling" that you do is pointless, might easily cause session problems, and frankly shows some lacking in your understanding of stereo audio processing and some of its basic principals.

Not my intention to sound harsh or anything. I just think I'm right, and that it's not software or hardware that's causing you trouble, it's your methods.

I wish you good luck.