Avid Pro Audio Community

Avid Pro Audio Community

How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Legacy Products > 003, Mbox 2, Digi 002, original Mbox, Digi 001 (Win)
Register FAQ Today's Posts Search

Old 11-25-2001, 08:17 PM

Default Latency?

I am currently in the market for a Digi 001 (doing all the research that I can, and waiting for the windows xp upgrade), and I have come upon a concern about the system. People talk about latency here and there on this forum. Does the Digi 001 always have a little latency when recording on a good PC, or only when there are some plug-ins running? That would suck if there was any latency at all. Thanks a bunch.
Old 11-25-2001, 08:31 PM

Default Re: Latency?

Bad news bud!All host based DAW's have latency,be it emagic,cubase,PT or what have you,due to the fact that all calculations run through a single processor.

The digi 001 offers some nice ways of combatting it though,like "low latency recording" and the like.Once you get your head around it, it works fine.If yo want a system with less latency,grab a bank loan and buy TDM.But even there they have some serious latency issues a user has to deal with.
Old 11-25-2001, 10:25 PM

LE has never given us latency problems that couldn't be helped with low latency monitoring. When you are recording, you don't have as many, if any plugins going, so it isn't a big problem.

www.disposableproductions.com
Old 11-26-2001, 01:59 AM

Yeah I totally agree...I was really worried about it, but it's not a problem at all. If you don't want to use any effects on the track you're recording (as you track it) you can put it in low latency mode. Which is virtually none.

I always like to add a bit of reverb while recording vocals,(personally I think it improves the performance) so I use aux sends which work fine. Low Latency doesn't work with sends and plugins, if the track is rec enabled. There are diff buffer settins, 128, 256, 512, and 1024. The 128 setting is close enough to real time. As you mix you set the buffer higher and get more plugins.

I know some of this is redundant, but if you don't have protools yet, I assume you don't know how the workarounds really work.