Avid Pro Audio Community

How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Pro Tools Hardware > Eleven Rack
Register FAQ Today's Posts Search

Old 07-30-2015, 09:46 AM

Default New bee 11r midi questions.

I've finally got it set up & running.Now here are a few questions related to midi. Is it possible to feed midi data from a keyboard via 11r to Pro tools or any other Daw?
Is it possible to do a midi sync with the Daw so I have the same tempo of the recording project on effects such as delay on 11r?
Is it possible to mix 11r effects like delay/reverb on a recorded track? (I think this is a yes since I tried out reaping for guitar tracks yesterday.)

Since I am using the 11r as an interface with Pro tools,how do I mute the guitar sound on the 11r so there is no disturbance while recording or monitoring?

I am using the main volume control to control the entire 11r.On some effects the guitar volume is too low or too high.If I reduce it in the mains I loose everything else along with it.So is there a separate volume control for the guitar internally?

I would appreciate answers to these questions please.

Thanks.
Old 08-01-2015, 06:49 AM

Default Re: New bee 11r midi questions.

Quote:
Originally Posted by JCcares View Post
I've finally got it set up & running.Now here are a few questions related to midi. Is it possible to feed midi data from a keyboard via 11r to Pro tools or any other Daw?
Is it possible to do a midi sync with the Daw so I have the same tempo of the recording project on effects such as delay on 11r?
Is it possible to mix 11r effects like delay/reverb on a recorded track? (I think this is a yes since I tried out reaping for guitar tracks yesterday.)

Since I am using the 11r as an interface with Pro tools,how do I mute the guitar sound on the 11r so there is no disturbance while recording or monitoring?

I am using the main volume control to control the entire 11r.On some effects the guitar volume is too low or too high.If I reduce it in the mains I loose everything else along with it.So is there a separate volume control for the guitar internally?

I would appreciate answers to these questions please.

Thanks.
The Eleven Rack has MIDI inputs, so you could connect your MIDI controller that way, though I prefer USB since it's faster.

The guitar sound should be muted as soon as Pro Tools starts up. You should not hear it unless you monitor or arm a track. If you are getting a doubling effect, look at this video

Not sure what you mean by "the guitar volume is too low or high" you mean specifically the guitar, or the whole rig, or the amp, ect...

The guitar volume is calibrated to be the perfect level to hit the rig, this is not adjustable. If you mean the whole rig is too loud you can adjust individual parameters of the amp and effects to control the volume, or you can adjust the Rig Volume.

If your rigs vary wildly in volume you can use Rig Balancing to quickly adjust everything from one screen. Here is a video

Windows 11 Pro | macOS 12
Pro Tools 2022
benonistudio.com
Youtube Channel - benonistudio
Plugin Deals
@benonistudio
Old 08-04-2015, 08:13 PM

Thanks for the response.Need more info on midi sync so the delay tempo etc can sync to Pro tools.(Or does it do so automatically by default? ).
I meant the dry guitar signal seems pretty low .Is there a way to raise it?
Old 08-05-2015, 08:30 AM

Quote:
Thanks for the response.Need more info on midi sync so the delay tempo etc can sync to Pro tools.(Or does it do so automatically by default? ).
I meant the dry guitar signal seems pretty low .Is there a way to raise it?
As mentioned, the Guitar Input is set to the correct level already for hitting the amp and effects. There is no need to raise it, and no way to do so from the Eleven Rack.

Windows 11 Pro | macOS 12
Pro Tools 2022
benonistudio.com
Youtube Channel - benonistudio
Plugin Deals
@benonistudio
Old 08-07-2015, 04:50 PM

Thanks for the response.Is it possible to sync midi via 11r & pro tools or Logic? For example syncing the tempo on the 11 r delay to the tempo of the recording project.Any info on midi sync with 11r would be great.
Old 08-07-2015, 06:42 PM

Quote:
Thanks for the response.Is it possible to sync midi via 11r & pro tools or Logic? For example syncing the tempo on the 11 r delay to the tempo of the recording project.Any info on midi sync with 11r would be great.
Syncing MIDI tempo or session tempo (which is done internally via MIDI over USB) is trivial with Pro Tools. Described in the Eleven Rack User Guide, the only difference in Pro Tools 11 and later without the built in Eleven Rack Editor is you no longer set sync from the Pro Tools Eleven Rack UI Window, instead you set that up in Setup>MIDI>MIDI Clock (or whatever it is called). Start by playing around with extreme tempo changes and make sure you see the Eleven Rack front panel temp light changing blink rate.

You would hope this is possible in Logic, but I've not got this to work (yes Logic is set up to send MIDI sync to the Eleven Rack Rig), but then I never tried much. If I had really cared I would gave cracked open a USB MIDI analyzer (like SNOIZE MIDI Monitor on OS X) and compare what Logic is sending vs. Pro Tools.