Avid Pro Audio Community

Avid Pro Audio Community

How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Legacy Products > 003, Mbox 2, Digi 002, original Mbox, Digi 001 (Mac)
Register FAQ Today's Posts Search

Old 03-16-2006, 03:34 PM

Default Re: \"Special offer\" for Toolkit?

Quote:
During the final financial review of the pre-released product it was determined that including PT 7 in this upgrade would expose us to some revenue reserve issues
DigiCS
How about our revenue reserve issues?
This whole 7.1 transition for current DV Toolkit users, who wanted to invest in the Music Production Toolkit but now find out they'll loose their DV Toolkit if they make the jump, is troubling to say the least. I find it greedy and self serving to prop up so many hurdles that we don't know which to jump first. It's a slap in the face for sticking with Protools!

Still no Surround offer or Plugin Delay Compensation! You're determined to cripple LE users. We strive hard to make ends meet too and deal with all the incompatibilities and removal of necessary features (digital audition path for example). It's becoming more embracing by the day to mention that we use Protools "LE". The prohibitive cost of owning and maintaining an HD rig is what forces us to resort to using LE and be bullied around by this great thug.

Once the investment is made, not just in hardware/software but in time and education, I find it insulting to be treated like a second class Protools user who has gobs of money to throw your way. If it's not one thing (Digi001) then it's another (PTLE 7.1). I realize that progress needs to be made and everyone at Digidesign needs to be paid, but this strong arming us into the ditch is no way to gain respect.

Please Give us some real options not redundant packages. Let us purchase only what we need and only once. I don't remember the last time an 1176 or LA2A needed to be upgraded in order to keep working. If it breaks, we send it in for fixing, but we get it back!
If I needed the Multi-Track beat detective at this point "I" have to spend $800 just so my DV Toolkit doesn't break! Thanks a lot!
Old 03-16-2006, 03:55 PM

Have to join the crowd here. Need to vent my frustration.

The price of the DV Toolkit 2 is absolutely insanely high. I too, was hoping for a special offer. I mean come on. 1300 friggin dollars! Not to mention I bought The PT 7 Plus package and got DINR LE that now comes with the DV Toolkit 2 and from what I hear, I don't think Digi will do a thing about letting me get another plugin instead of DINR LE in the Toolkit 2 package......considering I can even come up with that kind of cash just for friggin TIME CODE! That so many other programs come with standard. I'd go for the $500 Music Production toolkit for the more tracks and reverb. But I so badly need that timecode for the film work I do. And to pay 800 more dollars for that functionality!!!!! For now, TCounterX might just have to do what it can for me. Digi, we are all very upset. I love pro tools as a DAW but you are totally killing us loyal LE users here. I am truly steaming. How dishonest of Digi to take away the special offer. I've never said this before but now it really is time to look at other DAW options. Digi, you don't know me that well but you must realize that for ME to be saying this, as a huge supporter for many years, your price has upset me beyond belief.

You need to reconsider and put a generous offer for this package back on the table or you won't be the "gold standard" for much longer. With how powerful personal PC's are becoming and all the features that come STANDARD on so many other DAWS, we will all in a short while if we haven't already switch to other programs that, though function somewhat differently, will be able to accomplish the same thing.

Shame on you, Digi. Right this wrong.
PT Ultimate
Old 03-16-2006, 04:11 PM

I'm glad more people are posting on this thread - I hope you all take a minute to write to Customer Service directly to express your disappointment. It's clear that, otherwise, Digi might not take the complaints of loyal LE users seriously until they've lost a big chunk of them to DP and Logic and then realize a few years later that the same LE base whose needs they neglected might have been the new generation of Pro Tools HD users, had they not made such poor, short-sighted decisions. With this whole Music Production Toolkit/DV Toolkit 2 fiasco, they are awakening more Pro Tools users than they know to the shortcomings of thier product, the features of their competition and the huge price disparity between them. I'm posting and writing them about this stuff because I'd rather stick with Pro Tools in the long run, but they've made it so cost-ineffecient and clear that they don't care that it's hard to stick with them and maintain one's self-respect as a Digi/Pro Tools fan.
Old 03-16-2006, 05:11 PM

I'm just skeeved that I'll have to pay $300 just to keep using my current DV Toolkit! I know, they apparently threw in one or two extra features, but damn. Why not charge me $100 if I want to add those, but make it possible for me to keep chuggin' along with my current one for free? I know, I know, if you stand to make an extra buck with the ol' 'make 'em upgrade' scheme, why not do it?
Old 03-16-2006, 06:02 PM

For me, the price isn't an issue. To me, that they retracted the discount is neither dishonest nor unfair. What my issue is is that there isn't even an option for those of us who just purchased the Upgrade Plus and possibly chose those two plug-ins, Smack and DINR (judging off of post purchase posts, the vast majority at least chose SMACK). And how about those that already have ALL of those plug-ins? Multi-track BD, Hybrid and 48-tracks aren't worth $500 to everybody. That's what bugs me and ticks me off. I have no interest in going through the hassle of selling and transferring the auths.

I'm a staunch supporter of PT, but sorry DIGI, y'all really screwed this one up.
Peace
Old 03-16-2006, 06:30 PM

Email them to let them know how disappointed you are here: [email protected]

So competitive pricing to switch to DP eh? I was just researching that! And nuendo...

Any opinions on what the best software/company to make the switch to is? That DP looks pretty amazing. Automating pitch? When would digi put that in? 2015! ha...
Old 03-16-2006, 07:03 PM

Dissapointment?? I don't understand. Doesnt anyone realize that LE was never intended as a full blown professional
system???
Comon, 10 years ago, you couldnt be in this business without spending high 6 figures on a console, high 6 figures for a multitrack recorder. high 5 figures for outboard gear.
What did that 4 track "casette workstation" cost back then??

Three years ago I went freelance, and told myself, it takes money to make money. I wouldnt even look at an LE system, I knew
it was not what would work. I bought a used MIX3 system for $6,000.00, and went to work. It paid for itself in 6 months, and
I traded up for an HD3 system $10,000.00, that paid for itself in 6 months. I bought a 002 Rack with DV Toolkit last year for editorial only, and am fully aware of its limitations, and will (without whining here) buy the DVToolkit 2 upgrade.

The availability of an affordable multitrack recording/editing system that any Joe can buy, (and also lease or finace through AVid)
has been the best thing thats happened in my professional career.

Now everyone expects to be a "recording engineer/producer" with a $1000.00 LE sytem, and a $39.00 Chinese mic.

Flame on

Old 03-16-2006, 07:23 PM

Now everyone expects to be a "recording engineer/producer" with a $1000.00 LE sytem, and a $39.00 Chinese mic.

I thought it was from Taiwan..

but true story.
Old 03-16-2006, 09:32 PM

DIAFXMX: Microphones/preamps/di boxes/instruments/even TALENT, and other things of that nature have not been brought up so far, so I'm not sure why you feel the need to start on other gear. As far as computers go, many are now capable of handling professional projects internally now. And if the software to make that happen is available by another company at a cheaper price, why not switch to it?

That's all I'm doing. I personally don't have the clientele, reputation, or back catalogue to justify spending $10,000. I also don't have the money! Anyway, this isn't about past prices either. Times change, and I can't believe that Digidesign doesn't seem to be able to keep up with the pack. I love Pro Tools, I really do. I'd rather not have to go spend money on other software and then spend months learning it as well as I know Pro Tools. But I'm not gonna pay another 500 bucks for less features than I could get with less money for the whole damn Digital Performer program! Makes good business sense for me.

No offense intended to you, hope none was taken.
Old 03-16-2006, 10:49 PM

You are what. What we can accomplish now for RELATIVELY little money compared to the past is absolutely amazing. I myself make it a point to never forget or take for granted how amazing these systems are now that the music is recorded digitally and technology rapidly advances.

But things ARE DIFFERENT now. That's the whole point. It DOESN'T cost that much RELATIVE to the past. And digi charges an arm and a leg because they are the gold standard and know they can charge whatever they want to.

Once again, I agree with most people here. I LOVE pro tools. And I really don't want to switch. But I know I totally could switch to another DAW, and for less money and a little bit of learning get fully comfortable with another interface and keep on working.....with TIMECODE and all.

Digi is making it difficult for us users who want to stick with them to do so and that is just sad and unfortunate.

You made my point for me....times are different now and great full featured pro audio setups that can do everything you need to produce professional audio don't cost what they used to.
PT Ultimate