Avid Pro Audio Community

Avid Pro Audio Community

How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Legacy Products > 003, Mbox 2, Digi 002, original Mbox, Digi 001 (Mac)
Register FAQ Today's Posts Search

Old 02-02-2010, 05:15 AM

Default Randomly deleted/missing files

I have a Digi 002R running Pro Tools LE 8.0.1 and occasionally after I record a session and save it, I'll close it and go back to it later only to have a message pop up saying that there are missing files/regions or something (I don't remember the exact text) and it'll try to find and relink to the session but it is never able to do so.

Is anyone else familiar with this issue, or have any solutions?

Thanks
Old 02-02-2010, 06:28 AM

Default Re: Randomly deleted/missing files

Bad file management?

It is unusual for this happen (in my experience) unless you do not know where things have been created/saved.

When ever a PT session is created a folder is created with that name, in that folder is the PT session, and an audio files folder (where your recorded audio files go). Whenever copying your PT session is imperative that this folder and ALL of its contents (the one containing the PT session and audio files folder) MUST be copied.

When creating a new PT session it defaults to the last folder to be saved to from PT. The amount of students that I have seen saving their sessions in an audio files folder of someone elses project is massive.

They then copy their folder and take someone elses work away with them. Also they copy the PTS only (no audio files etc....) and when they try to open it hey presto.... 'no audio files can be found'.

Does the computer you are using have multiple users?

A:)
Old 02-02-2010, 06:34 AM

I'm the only one that uses it.

When it first started happening I assumed it was user error, but for the last while I have gone out of my way to make sure that I'm saving in the correct locations. When I do save and get the error, the files seem to be completely gone. They are no longer in the audio files folder, or in the backup folder, and when I search my entire hard drive for the file it comes up with no results.

I guess it still could be user error, although I'm pretty sure I've done everything correctly.
Old 02-02-2010, 09:17 AM
Avid

Try this - if you open a session that gives you that error, go to the Audio Regions bin and make sure that Show>Autocreated and Show>Full Path Names are selected. Look at the list of regions for ones in italics and where Pro Tools is looking for them - are they in the location specified? This may also give you some idea of what may be happening, as you'll be able to identify the missing regions and piece together why they may be missing.