Avid Pro Audio Community

Avid Pro Audio Community

How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Legacy Products > 003, Mbox 2, Digi 002, original Mbox, Digi 001 (Win)
Register FAQ Today's Posts Search

Old 08-18-2007, 10:07 AM

Default mixer submix

Hey all. I have a mackie 1402 vlz3 pro mixer. I record drums through my digi 003. I would like to have a good submix coming from my mixer before i send it to the digi 003 and into pro tools. I am already monitoring through my mixer but i would like to record through my mixer if it's possible to go this route. For example, is it possible to go out of channel inserts 1-4 on the mixer and into DI inputs 1-4 on the digi 003 to get a good submix before sending it to pro tools?
Old 08-18-2007, 10:37 AM

Default Re: mixer submix

Why not just take the drums on the 6 channels of the mackie, get them the way ya like it and then send the stereo summed OUT of the mixer into the 002 line in on 7 and 8. If that is how you really want to do it. If it was me.... I would sell the "S"mackie and buy yourself a 8 channel Presonus Digimax LT or something to that extent and have 8 channels of solid (better than 's'mackie pre) preamp. Then just track the drums straight into pro tools clean and eq them later.

Better choice I would think.

Best,
Doc

MONUMENT SOUND ON YOUTUBE

Monument Sound Facebook

"Changing how people hear music one track at a time"
Old 08-18-2007, 02:19 PM

But there is nothing wrong with creating a submix and recording it that way, especially if your submix is clean and balanced the way you want it. There are advantages to keeping tracks separate, but it you know you like your pre-mix, then there are advantages to that as well. I would tend to want to keep at least my kick & snare on their own tracks, but I might mix toms & overheads.

Another option would be to go directly out of each mic channel on your mixer and line in to 003, (many mixers have direct out or effect send loops where if you only use the "out" side it does not disrupt the flow through the mixer. Then you are recording the same thing you have on your mixer to the protools. We have done this live before with excellent results.
Old 08-18-2007, 02:49 PM

True to all that was said, but I think for recording he would better benefit to sell it and get a ugraded 8 channel mic pre that will rival that mackie anyday. Get better tones going in and then use the eq's in Pro Tools. For live purposes (small, small band) it will work, but honestly man, get something that is designed to record into Pro Tools properly and not rigged up. The separation of Drum tracks for edits is key. I mean yes, you can keep it, send 6 outs to it and use it or Headphone sends, (mono) but it would work at least. Just make good choices to start ya know.

Doc

Monument Sound Facebook

Old 08-19-2007, 08:55 PM

Doc, I know your on HD now. (Lucky Bastard ) But how would you compare the Digimax pres to the 002r's? Just curious, I'm in the market for a decent pre, but cant afford the higher end stuff.
Old 08-20-2007, 09:40 AM

I think that the digimax is cleaner. I never used the 002 pres on my system when I had one. That black mod sounds pretty good though. Doyle was going to put out his comparisons soon.

Monument Sound Facebook