Avid Pro Audio Community

Avid Pro Audio Community

How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Legacy Products > 003, Mbox 2, Digi 002, original Mbox, Digi 001 (Mac)
Register FAQ Today's Posts Search

Old 02-07-2007, 07:36 AM

Default Is Waves Gold a smart buy?

Is Waves Gold Bundle a smart purchase?
I'm most interested in the Doubler, Flanger, MaxxBass, Ultramaximizer;
but it seems like I'd get a lot of use out of some of the other stuff as well.

Is it easy to use with PT 7.3 LE?

Thanks
Old 02-07-2007, 09:14 AM

Default Re: Is Waves Gold a smart buy?

IMHO the purchase as such is smart since most included plugs are really useful. I assume that the integration with 7.3 is as seamless as with earlier releases.
Just the Massey L2007 limiter is much better than the Waves L1 Ultramaximizer.

But before deciding, just make sure to get educated first about the Waves Update Plan (WUP) where the 1st year is included with the original purchase anyway.
Lots of heated discussions about WUP can be found in this and other audio forums.
Old 02-07-2007, 09:23 AM

I started with the Native Power Pak, moved to Gold and am now a Platinum bundle owner.

Yeah...do the research on WUP (Waves Update Plan) to find out how much it will cost to keep the plugins up to date.

The Gold bundle also includes the C4, which is very good; and I use the L1 on just about every session.

PT 2021; MacBookPro M1; 16GB; Spectrasonics; Native Instruments, Toontrack, Waves...too many plugins.
Old 02-07-2007, 10:21 AM

Hey there,

I went from the Waves Musicians Bundle to the Gold Bundle, Great plug ins, for me, it was the reverbs the TRUEVERB and RVERB and great!! The C4 multiband is a must to me. I use it on almost every session mostly on Vocals,

The WAVES UPDATE PLAN IS A RIP OFF.....just thought I would throw that out there, especially when there are companies like the guys that make FruityLoops, I know its not the MIGHTY PROTOOLS, but when you purchase it you get free updates for life!! you own version 6 and version 7 comes out, just download it and then version 8 a year later, just download it. I think that is the way to go, treat your customers like customers. give them something for chosing to use your software,

Waves has a holier then thou complex, that I hate,

So my sugesstion is that if you don't want to deal with the WUP go with the MCDSP everything bundle,

I can't live without the Analog channel, that thing rocks, nice compressors and eq's. just all around great stuff.

There ya go

my 0.02
Old 02-07-2007, 12:43 PM

The key to Waves is the smaller you start the better.

Example:
start with the NPP or Musicians if you wait until your WUP runs out then the upgrade to the Gold you save money add plugs and reset your WUP.
Then when that WUP runs out you upgrade to the Maxx Plus which adds plugs to your Gold and resets the Gold WUP.
Then when that WUP runs out you ask for special pricing based on what you own and upgrade to the Platinum.
That already 4 years with you never buying a new WUP.
Now if you started out with the Platinum look what it would cost in 4 years of WUP.

Just what I have experienced over the years as a Waves customer.
The only problem now is that you will have to purchase the SSL Bundle alone since it's not inclusive and is the only Waves Bundle I currently find a need to use.
Old 02-07-2007, 01:23 PM

: (

Sorry to be a party pooper, but NO, they're not a smart buy.

Especially if you're interested in them for the Doubler, Flanger, and Ultramaximizer.

Waves plugins have been around for while... There used to be a time when they were the only hi-quality plugin developer. But times change, my friend.

Now, you owe it to yourself to check out Sonalksis, URS, & McDSP, and Massey.

You already have a flanger in audiosuite. You already have a doubler in audiosuite's pitch shift + the digi delay plugin. And as far as limiters go... the ultramaximizer is nasty.

The Massey L2007 is wonderful and cheap.

The only Waves plugins that are really worth it is the SSL bundle... and the Rennaissance bundle, as well, I guess (I do like RenComp, but don't have Waves or use them) but even then, unnecessary, because there are better options out there.

You can make a really happening song sound great using the stock plugins. They're as clean and transparent as they need to be, really. Every other plugin you go for will probably be because you want to add some "character". I recommend Massey & Sonalksis.

I would even be content with only the Digi EQ III, Dyn III, Massey CT4, TapeHead, vt3, THC, & L2007.

I love THC the more I use it. It just seems to work on everything! Same goes for the CT4!

Did I mention you can demo the Massey plugins for as long as you like?

Mix well, be well.
Old 02-07-2007, 02:58 PM

Don´t WORRY 2012,

you rightfully right!

IMHO Waves Plugs are only affordable if you actually earn money with your audio engineering work.
For a hobbyist this is just too much money to spent on WUP it does not reckon in any way.
For the Home user there are more suitable solutions (see above) to throw away your money

regs
Old 02-08-2007, 07:45 AM

Thank you everyone for taking the time to help me out
with really useful info.
Old 02-08-2007, 08:20 AM

Does MaxxBass sound good?
Is there anything else out there comparable?

thanks
Old 02-08-2007, 09:30 AM

Quote:
Does MaxxBass sound good?
Is there anything else out there comparable?

thanks
Yes, I've used it before - it can be useful. I do not know of an alternative... Anybody?
Click for audio/video demo
Click for resume