Avid Pro Audio Community

Avid Pro Audio Community

How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Legacy Products > Pro Tools TDM Systems (Mac)
Register FAQ Today's Posts Search

Old 03-01-2004, 06:48 PM

Default TC System 6000 integration with PTHD

Hi Guys and Gals,
I'm thinking about buying a TC System 6000 to 'up' the level of reverbs I have available while mixing 'in-the-box'. I know ReVibe is coming out, Altiverb, etc., etc... but I really love the sound of the 6000. Does anybody know what the deal is with the network integration with a Mac? I don't know much about the hardware side of things, and I'm curious if I need to buy the CPU unit in order to use the Icon Remote, and if so, can I get away with using the Mac Icon software, and tweaking and saving presets right from the computer (and thus, not have to buy the CPU box)? Can you save your setups (in whatever file format) into your session file folder for backups?

I'd love to hear from anyone who has this setup working! I'd likely buy the digital-only version, and skip out on buying any analoge I/O at first...

Anyhow,
Cheers for now!
Old 03-01-2004, 08:22 PM

Default Re: TC System 6000 integration with PTHD

it is my understanding that you have to have at least one cpu unit regardless of whether you run the hardware icon or software. I believe you can drive multiple 6000s from one cpu
Old 03-01-2004, 09:48 PM

Doug is correct in that you need 1 CPU unit. You can use the icon software instead of the Icon and save the files as you suggested. I've got a digital only 6000 hooked up to my HD system as 4 stereo or 8 mono digital inserts and it works great. Highly recommended!

Jamie

Old 03-01-2004, 11:08 PM

Thanks for the info guys!

So... You can't just buy the Mainframe only (about $6600 at Sweetwater) unless you already have an Icon/CPU. You have to buy the M6000 bundle for about $8300, and you figure that comes with the CPU and the Icon remote?

Is there any must-have software that I'll need that doesn't come with the base unit? I probably won't need any of the surround pitch and time expansion software, or the MD6 mastering stuff. Does it come with the MD3?

Cheers!
Old 03-01-2004, 11:45 PM

It doesn't come with the MD3, nor any other package except the reverbs. It is definitely a great tool. BTW: you don't really need the icon, but if you can afford one, it's worth it for the client appeal alone. Also, it's nice to be able to make small changes really quickly.

Be aware also that the icon software, unless they recently upgraded things, runs on a pc-only.
Old 03-02-2004, 12:33 AM

Quote:
It doesn't come with the MD3, nor any other package except the reverbs. It is definitely a great tool. BTW: you don't really need the icon, but if you can afford one, it's worth it for the client appeal alone. Also, it's nice to be able to make small changes really quickly.

Be aware also that the icon software, unless they recently upgraded things, runs on a pc-only.
Actually, our clients like the fact that I can run the 6000 to any of our rooms via digital switcher and control it from my TiBook 800 via wireless anywhere in the building. I can even change the color scheme of the interface, although I think "Deep Space", the default, is really the best one.

I'm on 10.3.2 at the moment.
www.tnfilmlocations.com
Old 03-02-2004, 12:46 AM

bought a TC6000 mainframe + ADA 24/96 (2 cards) and the SW ICON (no extra cpu)... I'm not using the analog, going AES with PTHD... price was good thru Pro Audio Design
Old 03-03-2004, 07:50 AM

Quote:
bought a TC6000 mainframe + ADA 24/96 (2 cards) and the SW ICON (no extra cpu)... I'm not using the analog, going AES with PTHD... price was good thru Pro Audio Design
Does that mean that you just bought the mainframe without that CPU unit, and you're running the software remote? This is what I've been wondering about... Whether you can bypass the purchase of the CPU&ICON entirely...???

They've just released the Mac OSX Icon software, so for me, that's ideal!
Old 03-03-2004, 09:59 AM

You do not need the CPU. I am running a System 6000 mainframe with only the remote ICON software. AES/EBU into the 192. The software works flawlessly. The System 6000 connects via Eithernet, just plugged it into my hub. My setup is PT HD3/192 on Mac and the remote software runs on a Windows XP machine. With the Mac OSX ICON software available I might run it the Mac, but having it on a separate screen is nice.

Look/ask for the following (note, eventhough it says Windows software, it's the ICON software license for Mac/PC):

System 6000 Mainframe with Digital I/O and Windows control software
902-1000 + 905 006030 System 6000 mainframe with 8 channel DIG I/O and Windows control software (No TC ICON remote)

This package retails at $7,295.00.

The standard mainframe lists at $6395 and the ICON software is $1,000 so the bundle saves you $100. These are prices from a year ago, don't know if they've changed because of the weak US$.

Busch.
Old 03-03-2004, 11:28 AM

If stereo is all you need then the TC4000 has the same reverbs under $2500. Nice.

sm