Avid Pro Audio Community

Avid Pro Audio Community

How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Legacy Products > 003, Mbox 2, Digi 002, original Mbox, Digi 001 (Mac)
Register FAQ Today's Posts Search

Old 01-27-2002, 03:42 PM
marilyn manson and the spooky kids marilyn manson and the spooky kids is offline

Default Difference between a Mac Server and a Power Mac G4?

jerry sienfeld is standing over my shoulder and would like to know:

what is deal with these servers?

would you need them for any reason for pro tools?

we saw them on the apple store, and we just want to know
" what is the deal with these things"?
[img]images/icons/grin.gif[/img]
Old 01-27-2002, 04:02 PM

Default Re: Difference between a Mac Server and a Power Mac G4?

A server is set up to host web pages and such. If you're not into hosting web applications..it ain't for you. Wouldn't be worth spending the money as a protools machine because they are configured for high traffic access and to contain large volumes of info.
In essence, it is a computer, but not for use as a personal computer would be.

Funny, when I began answering this question...I thought I knew more about it than this...guess not. But you should trust me anyway.

No soup for you.
Old 01-27-2002, 07:38 PM

as the owner of a G4 450 "server" running Pro Tools LE I can tell you that the only thing that makes it a server is some software which you don't even have to bother to uninstall if you don't want to. I bought the server at a blowout price which basically made it the cheapest 450 available at that time. the only hassle was I had to find a modem for it. to my knowledge there's no difference with the newer Macs as far as the quality that makes them servers is software. check with Apple or any authorized reseller. also I agree don't buy one unless it costs the same or less as a regular one, 'cause you're paying for software and the lack of a modem.
Old 01-27-2002, 08:55 PM
Administrator

If you take a look at the details about the hardware on servers on a site like www.everymac.com or the database at www.applespec.com you'll see that there is usually not much difference between server models and regular desktops. What you may find is a beefier power supply, included extra hard drives, and that sort of thing.