Avid Pro Audio Community

Avid Pro Audio Community

How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Legacy Products > 003, Mbox 2, Digi 002, original Mbox, Digi 001 (Mac)
Register FAQ Today's Posts Search

Old 01-05-2008, 10:30 AM

Default Recording through ADAT port on 003

Hi all, I'm planning to buy an 003 Factory - Pro Tools LE setup, with an iMac over the next couple of days. I'm also getting a Roland TD20K, which has 8 analogue direct outs for separate kit parts. I'm hoping to get some sort of A/D convertor (any suggestions?) for these outputs, and take an optical lead into the 003, then record all 8 tracks separately into pro tools (along with anything else that may be running into the 003).

I'm new to Pro Tools, and Macs....can someone please tell me if this will work, and also if there's a suggested maximum cable length for optical feeds? The TD20K will be about 8 meters away from the 003.

Thanks!

Oh, another thing I'm new to is MIDI!...this may be a simple/stupid question but can I also run a MIDI cable to and from the TD20K to the 003, record the MIDI into Pro Tools, then play it back through the TD20K as it sounded originally? Thanks again!
Old 01-05-2008, 12:23 PM

Default Re: Recording through ADAT port on 003

Hi RockGod,

Yes something like the Apogee Rosetta will do the analog to digital conversion for your 8 outputs on the TD20K. They have optical outs so you hook that up to the optical in on your 003. The nice bonus is that you can set the 003 to clock from the Rosetta and that makes all the AD and DA going on (even for the analog ins and outs on the 003) sound better.

If you're only going be using the TD20K on its own, recording other instruments at other times, you could just use the 8 analog ins on the 003, just use the line-ins not the Mic-pres for ins 1-4.

That MIDI idea will work fine, you record the MIDI information onto a MIDI track in PT, then when you want to get the TDK20K to play back, set it to play from the MIDI in port and make sure your MIDI track in PT is outputting through the MIDI out on the 003 (and of course that you've hooked those two ports up to each other).
There's no audio from the drums reaching PT with this setup though so if you want to do a mixdown at some stage you're going to have to get the drums audio into PT through those 8 analog outs.

Cheers,

Simon
Old 01-05-2008, 03:12 PM

Hi Simon,

Thanks for the help. The Apogee Rosetta is out of my budget for a while so I'm either going to look for a cheaper convertor, or go with the 8 analogue line inputs on the 003 as a temporary solution. I didn't realise clocking from the Rosetta would affect the analogue ins and outs on the 003, thanks for the info!..

When I do get a convertor, I'm still not sure whether it would be best to run a long 8 way 1/4" loom to the A/D, then a short optical cable into the 003, or the other way round. Unfortunately the direct outs on the TD20K are unbalanced. Does anyone know which option is better?
Old 01-05-2008, 05:19 PM

Ok, so I looked up the drum module you’ll be using. It has 8 ¼ outs, of which I assume you can assign within the module what goes to those outputs. I would guess something like this:

1 – Kick
2 – Snare
3 – Tom 1
4 – Tom 2
5 – Floor Tom
6 – Hi Hat
7/8 – Cymbals in Stereo

Record your drum parts VIA Midi connected from you drum module to your 003.

You can get an 8 Channel Snake and take all of that into your OO3. The trick to this is to only do this when you have edited all you midi data, done your Quantizing, etc. Until then, just use your Stereo Out for monitoring. Once your drum parts are down, and you’re happy, then track them, via the above outs into the 003. Once you’ve got them there, you can edit them the same way as any other audio. Then start overdubbing your other parts.

You don’t need an additional I/O do all of this, just think about workflow. Take note, if you can do all the panning and processing of your drum parts within your module, you’ll never need to record your drum parts via audio. You can just create an Aux in and connect your drum module outputs into protools this way.

Now, if you want better conversion:

I've got a Rosetta setup with my 003 Rack, the 003 is clocked to the Rosetta as well. I'm going to say, don't worry right now about using another converter for now unless you’ve got to have more I/O. Get used to Protools, you can make good recordings with the 003. The Pre's and Converters are much better than the 002's. Albeit, the converters are not as good as a Rosetta for obvious reasons. An RME FF800 is a great option as well, which can be had used for about a grand. Great conversion, and adds 4 additional (average) Pre’s.

I'm going to say, don't waist your time on going with the Factory Bundle. There is not a single Digidesign Plugin I use, even when I got my HD system, I didn't use any of the included TDM plugs, I used better RTAS plugs instead. The factory is a waste of money. If anything, buy the Music Production Toolkit.

Later on, go with one of the awesome Waves bundles (Waves SSL, V, or API). I own all, and use all. Any one of them will cover your EQ and Compression needs. The mistake that many people make is buying plugin after plugin because of what they read on forums like this one. I own just about every plug known to man, and I tell you, on a day-to-day basis, I use the three waves bundles above exclusively. You’ll hear people slam Waves due to WUP. To me, WUP is a non-issue and due to the quality of the formentioned plugins, I have no issue paying WUP, when I need to upgrade, which frankly, is not that often. A person can use those plugs for a lifetime and never (Have) to pay WUP.

Guys, let’s not turn this into a WUP debate. The only reason I even brought it up, is I predicted that it would cause this to turn into a WUP Debate.

Please……..

MacPro 5.1 (12) Core (2009 MacPro 8 Core Upgraded to a 12 Core MacPro), 56 Gig Ram, SSD System & 3 - 2TB Drives, OSX 10.9.5, Windows 10 Via Bootcamp
Old 01-06-2008, 03:26 AM

Thanks for all the advice there Barry. Your suggestion of recording via MIDI makes a lot of sense, especially for not filling up all my audio inputs on the 003. I think because I've not really used MIDI before, it's just a fear of the unknown, and me wanting to stick with what I do know....recording standard audio.

I'm assuming every piece of information is captured accurately using MIDI? the slightest movement in the opening or closing or the Hi Hat for example?

As for the Factory Bundle... I think it's an option on the 003 Rack, but there's no option on the 003 control surface version (at least according to any shop I've considered here in the UK). I'm getting a pretty good deal for buying all the equipment from one place, and the hands-on options of the control surface are appealing to me, even if I never end up using the bundled plug-ins.
Old 01-06-2008, 10:48 AM

Oh the debates on Barry, waves is atrocious cause of WU...na just foolin. I'm acually with you well the SSL I haven't heard the API to much, but they do sound great from what I've heard.