Avid Pro Audio Community

Avid Pro Audio Community

How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Legacy Products > Digidesign Hardware & Software
Register FAQ Today's Posts Search

Old 07-28-2006, 11:45 AM

Default Can\'t record audio from softsynth, HELP!

I'm having trouble getting recorded audio From Plugsound onto a stereo track. I'm a little new to softsynths so I might be a little dim in this particular instance so I'll describe what I did:I'm using Pro Tools Free so I've got the computer sound input set at sound in/built in. I've got CPU usage at 75%. Plugsound softsynth system requirements are all met by both the computer and PTF. In order to route sound to Plugsound I set up an audio track in the mix window and selected Plugsound Free as a plugin. Then I get the plugsound window. I then setup a midi track and selected Plugsound from the instruments list, I was then able to play the patches and get sound. I penciled in a midi note onto the MIDI track and played it back. Audio level meters responded accordingly so allright so far. After record enabling both audio tracks as input left and right and hit the record button on the transport I get no recorded sound. After having no luck with that I quit out of PTF and when I started the program up again it crashed the computer. Have I made some mistake with the way it's inserted or do I have to change the busses?? I've got it setup just the way plugsound describes in the manual for use as an RTAS. Any help would be appreciated!

500mhz. Dual processor G4 with 768mgs. RAM
Focusrite Saffire Pro 40
Ableton Live 10/Presonus Studio 3
Old 07-28-2006, 09:33 PM

Default Re: Can\'t record audio from softsynth, HELP!

I don't know if you can record audio from a bus in PTF, but you'd need to set the output of your softsynth tracks to a bus, and the input of your audio tracks to the bus output of your sofsynth tracks not the hardware inputs.

You could also mute all the tracks except your softsynth tracks, connect the Mac's output directly to the input (make sure you disable input monitoring!), and record the softsynths to audio tracks.
Old 07-29-2006, 08:33 AM

Default Re: Can\'t record audio from softsynth, HELP!

Well thank you M, I shall try both of those possibilities. The other idea I had was that maybe I needed to select "none" as a recording device in Sound Manager.
Focusrite Saffire Pro 40
Ableton Live 10/Presonus Studio 3