Avid Pro Audio Community

Avid Pro Audio Community

How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Pro Tools Hardware > Pro Tools HDX & HD Native Systems (Mac)
Register FAQ Today's Posts Search

Old 03-04-2022, 09:43 AM

Default Transition from TDM to HDX or Mac M1 Max

I’m curious if people think HDX is still a relevant choice with the introduction of the M1 and M1 Max? HDX has been around for over a decade so how long until it’s replaced with newer tech, HDX Accel? I’ve watched a bunch of YouTube videos so I know the M1’s are fast, but I’m looking for comparisons of how they stack up to HDX.

I have been using the same HD3 TDM system on a Mac 2,1 since 2008. It still works fine, I usually use TDM plugs/mixer for recording and running headphone mixes and then mix 100% with native plug ins. I rarely hit more than 48 tracks.

To stay updated with my main songwriting soft synths I’ve had to make things more complicated than I prefer. I offloaded my soft synths to a MacBook Pro about 5 years ago running Ableton which connects to PT HD10 via my Soundgrid network. I have 2 192 interfaces for 32in 16out connected to my HD cards and 64 i/o on the network. The one thing I struggle with running a two computer system is sync and dealing with recording latency on my Ableton rig.

I’ve been considering upgrading to either HDX(which I assume would be like TDM but would run newer plugins and Softsynths) or just getting an M1 Max and going back to basic native Pro Tools. Consolidating the two systems to one machine would speed up and modernize my workflow. Low latency recording across the board and running newer plugins is my end goal.

I’m curious if anybody has gone from a TDM system to a native Pro Tools M1 system and what your thoughts are. Is HDX still a viable or necessary choice?
Old 09-01-2022, 11:28 AM

Default Re: Transition from TDM to HDX or Mac M1 Max

I was circling back to this as I’ve been considering upgrading again, but now considering a Mac Studio. So far it seems as if nobody else has gone from a HD/HDX back to a native rig,(and I don’t mean HDN) or just nothing good to say?
Old 09-01-2022, 12:33 PM

I did it! I still have my HDX system hooked up to a 2012 mac pro but I couldn't update the OS/ Pro tools to the newest stuff and was really missing some of the work flow/processing enhancements that have been implemented in the more recent updates.

I'm currently running a Macbook pro M1 Max and an Apollo x8p over tb3 and its pretty fantastic. It absolutely crushes my old mac pro. I can easily run 200-300 tracks with plugins (native and UAD2) without so much as a hiccup. Pro tools (non HD) ran out of tracks before I ran out of cpu lol. I can even record/punch into existing mixes with very minimal latency. I haven't missed my HDX system at all... I mean it's just sitting there collecting dust.
Old 09-01-2022, 02:31 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by skylab001 View Post
I’ve been considering upgrading to either HDX(which I assume would be like TDM but would run newer plugins and Softsynths) or just getting an M1 Max and going back to basic native Pro Tools.
Uh, be careful.

A sample based virtual instrument can run only natively. Just cannot run on HDX-DSP.

No modeling based virtual instrument I am aware of runs on HDX-DSP although in principle a developer might be able to write one to do this I am no aware of any on HDX (and I also don't look for them, if it exists it's rare).

And HDX at least traditional HDX sessions, analogous to TDM, consume additional resources going from the HDX mixer to native virtual instruments. Potentiality making HDX a worse platform to work on than just being native.

Low latency tracking/plugin arguments exist sure, and there is more flexibility with the new hybrid engine, but I'll also note there are bugs there being reported.

I would be heavily inclined to buy a modern mac and just try run native. If it turns out you absolutely need HDX you go there later.

What interfaces are you using? If I was going native I would seriously consider ditching Digilink interfaces (hopefully selling them while they have more value) and it's associated cost, complexity, and bugs/problems, and just go USB or Thunderbolt interfaces. And potentially you can sell your HD or Ultimate license and go with a lower cost of ownership Pro Tools Studio license.

Last edited by Darryl Ramm; 09-01-2022 at 03:08 PM.
Old 09-01-2022, 04:46 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Darryl Ramm View Post
... just go USB or Thunderbolt interfaces. And potentially you can sell your HD or Ultimate license ...
Makes sense!
Click for audio/video demo
Click for resume