Avid Pro Audio Community

Avid Pro Audio Community

How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Legacy Products > 003, Mbox 2, Digi 002, original Mbox, Digi 001 (Win)
Register FAQ Today's Posts Search

Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next
Old 01-28-2006, 06:30 AM

Default Recording Acoustic Drums. What is an ideal setup?

I just got a 7pac of Samson Q drum mikes in yesterday. I'm sure they aren't the best mics but I'm hoping they will get me close to what I want to achieve for the money. So, I got the kit hooked up and plugged all the mics into an 8 channel Soundcraft mixing board and I took the mono out of it and jammed it into an input on the 002. I got all the levels pretty even and banged out a little beat. Sounded pretty good, not too bad. I tried messing around with the eq on each channel to sweeten up the set a bit but. eh, still sounds dry and pretty much reminded me of when I was 16 and we used to record our band practices in the garage with a ghetto blaster. So, since I just also today installed the PT7 upgrade I tried to grab an EQ from the audio suite, the 7band. I got it to sound a bit better but I don't know if I'm going in the right direction with this set up. Actually, I found it odd that I had to do the recording and apply the effect to it afterwards instead of applying it to the input signal. Yep, I'm so used to all the VST effects and the such that I used with Sonar 5. I'm not familiar at all with any of the pro tools effects that came with 7.

Are you pleased with the recordings of your acoustic drum set up? What techniques do you suggest and what gear do you use to achieve it?

If I could just make my drum recordings sound like Mike Portnoys kit (Dream Theater) I would be pleased.

Go Seahawks!