Avid Pro Audio Community

Avid Pro Audio Community

How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > General Discussion & Off Topic > General Discussion
Register FAQ Today's Posts Search

Old 06-16-2014, 01:50 AM

Default Pick up one of my guitar today to find it completely out of tune but what a find!

So I picked up my seagull today and it was out of wack.. Yet there was a pleasing tune to it so I tried to fiddle with it a bit and came up with some rather nice patern. Then I picked up my tuner to see what the strings were at and this is what it gave me

6th e
5th a
4rth d
3rd f#
2nd b
1rst d

I've checked in pretty much every book I had and also online but couldn't find that tuning listed anywhere.

Anyone has an Idea what it might be?

Wave-T.com
Old 06-16-2014, 06:42 AM

Default Re: Pick up one of my guitar today to find it completely out of tune but what a find!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Emcha_audio View Post
So I picked up my seagull today and it was out of wack.. Yet there was a pleasing tune to it so I tried to fiddle with it a bit and came up with some rather nice patern. Then I picked up my tuner to see what the strings were at and this is what it gave me

6th e
5th a
4rth d
3rd f#
2nd b
1rst d

I've checked in pretty much every book I had and also online but couldn't find that tuning listed anywhere.

Anyone has an Idea what it might be?
I think that's the Manny D6/E open tuning!!!

Old 06-16-2014, 06:50 AM

Default Re: Pick up one of my guitar today to find it completely out of tune but what a find!

HAHA love it! Yeah guess it was too late ... or too early depending on how you view it to see the d6 resemblance. Thanks!

Wave-T.com
Old 06-16-2014, 12:51 PM

Quote:
HAHA love it! Yeah guess it was too late ... or too early depending on how you view it to see the d6 resemblance. Thanks!
I'm going to give it a try!

Old 06-16-2014, 05:01 PM

I wouldn't use it on everything, but it sure has its possibilities for some really nice tunes. Fact is what I found today is going to be used for making a song for one of my new female artist.

Wave-T.com
Old 06-17-2014, 04:03 AM

Quote:
I wouldn't use it on everything, but it sure has its possibilities for some really nice tunes. Fact is what I found today is going to be used for making a song for one of my new female artist.
And...you can tell the artist it's a tuning you invented just for her...should get you major props from her...
Note that all opinions, observations, whatever, in this post are mine, unless I'm being mean or am wrong, in which case it's somebody else's fault. I do not work for Avid (their loss)...my only relationship with Avid is that of a customer (when I'm not too poor to buy stuff, like now)...and that hot administrative assistant...that's more of a "thing" than a "relationship" (that should keep them guessing for a while...)

Just rockin'...what more is there?

Bill in Pittsburgh
Old 06-17-2014, 02:29 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bill Denton View Post
And...you can tell the artist it's a tuning you invented just for her...should get you major props from her...
That right. You could say "you and this song are so special I had to invent a whole new guitar tuning just for you!"

Old 06-17-2014, 04:26 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by DonaldM View Post
That right. You could say "you and this song are so special I had to invent a whole new guitar tuning just for you!"
And now...Dr. D's secret weapon...

Those of us who grew up (and I use the term loosely) in the late 50's and early 60's know this, but you less age-challenged folks may not...

Go back and look at the Top 40 radio playlists from back in those days...every other song has a girl's name in it. And even better, you can play all of them with C-F-G-Am-Em.

I always carry an acoustic guitar when I go to parties, and as I walk around meeting (or getting reacquainted with) the various women at the party, I'm mentally building my "playlist", and, if necessary, incorporating "other" women's names into songs.

Usually, about 11:00-ish, somebody says, "Bill...go get your guitar".

And I just start going around the room, singing a song with her name in it to every woman at the party. I try to time it so I finish around 11:45 PM, 'cause there's always some place that closes at midnight...you can then just turn to your target de jour and say, "I need some smokes/more beer/rolling papers, you want to ride up to 7-11 with me?"

And if you're really lucky, another woman will say, "Hey, can I come along, too?"

Works like a charm...

And the "Dr. D" thing...that's from my radio days when I would frequently "sign off" my show by saying something like, "3:00 PM and time for me to get out of here, but you ladies feel free to drop by for some of Dr. D's bone injections...guaranteed to cure all your ills"...
Note that all opinions, observations, whatever, in this post are mine, unless I'm being mean or am wrong, in which case it's somebody else's fault. I do not work for Avid (their loss)...my only relationship with Avid is that of a customer (when I'm not too poor to buy stuff, like now)...and that hot administrative assistant...that's more of a "thing" than a "relationship" (that should keep them guessing for a while...)

Just rockin'...what more is there?

Bill in Pittsburgh
Old 06-17-2014, 04:46 PM

Quote:
Quote:
Originally Posted by DonaldM View Post

Quote:
And now...Dr. D's secret weapon...

Those of us who grew up (and I use the term loosely) in the late 50's and early 60's know this, but you less age-challenged folks may not...

Go back and look at the Top 40 radio playlists from back in those days...every other song has a girl's name in it. And even better, you can play all of them with C-F-G-Am-Em.

I always carry an acoustic guitar when I go to parties, and as I walk around meeting (or getting reacquainted with) the various women at the party, I'm mentally building my "playlist", and, if necessary, incorporating "other" women's names into songs.

Usually, about 11:00-ish, somebody says, "Bill...go get your guitar".

And I just start going around the room, singing a song with her name in it to every woman at the party. I try to time it so I finish around 11:45 PM, 'cause there's always some place that closes at midnight...you can then just turn to your target de jour and say, "I need some smokes/more beer/rolling papers, you want to ride up to 7-11 with me?"

And if you're really lucky, another woman will say, "Hey, can I come along, too?"

Works like a charm...

And the "Dr. D" thing...that's from my radio days when I would frequently "sign off" my show by saying something like, "3:00 PM and time for me to get out of here, but you ladies feel free to drop by for some of Dr. D's bone injections...guaranteed to cure all your ills"...

LOL

Wave-T.com