How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Pro Tools Software > Windows
Register FAQ Today's Posts Search

Old 04-30-2014, 01:23 AM

Default "The Selected ASIO audio device could not be initialized."

Hello:

I recently purchased a Fast Track Solo that came with a copy of Pro Tools Express. I installed everything a few days ago and it worked fine on a Windows 8.1 operating system. I was hearing audio, playing around with recording some instrument tracks and re-playing them back without issue.

Then today I had to do a system restore for stability issues (I don't believe it was Pro Tools related), so I was forced to restore to a point prior to installing Pro Tools Express. After the system restore, I installed the latest Fast Track Solo driver (numerous times), reinstalled the PACE licensing, and reinstalled Pro Tools Express-- now when I try to load Pro Tools I receive an error message: "The Selected ASIO audio device could not be initialized. Please Choose another audio device", with no option for another device to choose. Pro Tools will not load from this point.

I've tried multiple USB 2.0 ports, the Fast Track is plugged in and has a green power light. When I access the Fast Track Console window provided with the driver it states that the "Hardware is not connected", which is not true as the Fast Track is plugged in.

Device Manager shows the Fast Track under "Other Devices" with a yellow yield sign and an "!" by it. I have tried every imaginable way of unplugging, uninstalling the device, rebooting, uninstalling the drivers, rebooting, replugging the device back in, installing drivers, rebooting, etc. and I still receive the "The Selected ASIO audio device could not be initialized. Please Choose another audio device" error message when loading Pro Tools.

Please assist with any other suggestions...what am I missing? Did system restore mess something up in Windows Registry? Am I completely out of luck and my Fast Track is now a glamorous paperweight? Thanks in advance.
Old 04-30-2014, 09:12 AM

Default Re: "The Selected ASIO audio device could not be initialized."

This isn't really a Pro Tools issue, but rather a Windows driver issue. If you have a yellow warning icon next to the Fast Track, it means that Windows can not start the driver for the device.

You can try to right click on the yellow icon and choose uninstall. Then unplug your Fast Track and uninstall the driver package from your system. Reboot the PC. Then try installing the drivers again and finally plugging in the Fast Track. If that doesn't work, then you may have to pick an earlier restore point before the Fast Track was installed.

System Details
Old 04-30-2014, 12:21 PM

Jake, have you tried a registry cleaner such as CCleaner?

If you want to give it a shot, here's how I would go about it.
  1. Shut down your computer
  2. Unplug the audio interface
  3. Boot up in safe mode
  4. Install and run CCleaner
  5. Reboot, standard mode now
  6. Install Pro Tools and the Fast Track Solo drivers
  7. Shut down
  8. Plug in the Fast Track
  9. Boot up
Old 04-30-2014, 08:23 PM

Hey, thanks for the replies. It definitely was a windows issue because my keyboard stopped working too. I had already restored the system to a point prior to installing Pro Tools and that is when all these issues started. I couldn't even connect to the internet because the Window's Diagnostic Policy Service wouldn't run either.

Anyway, I restored the system back to the point that it was in prior to doing the initial system restore and Voila!, Pro Tools works again along with my keyboard and internet.
Old 04-30-2014, 08:50 PM

Sounds like you should run a virus and malware scan, and then use the /sfc scannow command.
Old 05-01-2014, 07:13 PM

I started getting this message starting about a week ago.
I'm wondering if it is related to windows 8.1 update 1?

I'm getting it at least 3 out of 5 times I try to open a session. I reboot, mess with driver settings and eventually I can get it open but it is driving me crazy.

It is wasting so much time and killing my joy in creating music.

I can say with 100% certainty that PT is NOT trying to share my audio interface with Windows.
Old 05-01-2014, 09:25 PM

I just recently started seeing this message to in Pro Tools 11. I'm running windows 8.1 with a Lynx Hilo. Every time I want to switch sessions with different sample rates, get this message when I try to play the new session. I made sure that the Lynx USB driver sample rate was set to match the session before opening. I've tried every suggestion posted I could find online. Have you guys had any luck with anything?
Old 05-01-2014, 11:03 PM

The issue could very well be attributed to the more recent windows 8.1 updates. After doing a system restore I haven't updated Windows yet and everything is working fine with pro tools (other than pops, stutters, and clicks while using a specific plugin...but thats a different topic).

My issue was that device manager wasn't recognizing the driver for the Fast Track it was appearing with an alert(!) by it. How does your M-Box or Fast Track show up in your device manager? After the system restore Windows device manager now recognizes both the Fast Track and the driver for it on my system.
Old 05-02-2014, 08:31 AM

I used PT Trasher and got a session that would not open previously to work. I just trashed my prefs and the projects started working.

Guitardom - you freaking rock.

Last edited by BCnSTL; 05-02-2014 at 12:30 PM.
Old 05-07-2014, 10:15 AM

That is always one answer (trashing prefs, also deleting databases). These days it is also important to check your device manager and make sure all devices are running, and to check your preferences in PT and make sure you have the right device selected as your Protools sound engine.

This is especially true is using two devices like an 11-Rack with another interface.