Avid Pro Audio Community

Avid Pro Audio Community

How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Legacy Products > Pro Tools TDM Systems (Mac)
Register FAQ Today's Posts Search

Old 05-28-2013, 10:13 AM

Default Re: how to update 888 24 i/o; Pro Control

sweetwater might have 5.1.3

I got it from them about a year ago. I have purchased a good bit of stuff from them though.

Rich
Old 05-31-2013, 01:09 PM

5/31/13 update :
I have O/S 9 on my G4 currently, thinking I would upgrade to PT 6.4, -

I tried to install 10.3 from a 9 CD set labeled "eMac Software restore Mac OS X applications classic support" that I bought off ebay..
(NEW APPLE PANTHER 10.3 G3 G4 RESTORE DISCS APPLICATION SOFTWARE)

and it doesn't work. did I get the wrong CD set? It is returnable.

If I stayed with O/S 9, Where would you recommend I try to find the 5.1.3 install disc? Probably tough to do but may be the only way to keep my plug ins...
Mac G4 10.3
Old 05-31-2013, 01:18 PM

The emac disks are machine specific, so they don't have the correct drivers for any of the G4 towers. Basically, any of the gray disks that came with a mac will only work with the model that they shipped with. The last of the G4 towers shipped with 10.2, so there are not any gray disk sets of 10.3 that will work with a G4 tower. You need a retail panther install disk set(Black disks), that's the only 10.3 installer that has the correct drivers.

If a MIDI event triggers a sample of a tree falling and there's no one there to hear it, does it make a sound?
Old 05-31-2013, 04:17 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by John_Toolbox View Post
The emac disks are machine specific, so they don't have the correct drivers for any of the G4 towers. Basically, any of the gray disks that came with a mac will only work with the model that they shipped with. The last of the G4 towers shipped with 10.2, so there are not any gray disk sets of 10.3 that will work with a G4 tower. You need a retail panther install disk set(Black disks), that's the only 10.3 installer that has the correct drivers.
Thanks John, so if I install the black disks set on my G4 to make 10.3, then I can download the 6.4 PT sold off the Avid site and it will create P Tools 6.4... and that will give me all the files I need?
Guess I will do that and accept losing my plug ins... as I probably won't find 5.1.3 anywhere..
Mac G4 10.3
Old 06-03-2013, 07:29 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rudy C View Post
Thanks John, so if I install the black disks set on my G4 to make 10.3, then I can download the 6.4 PT sold off the Avid site and it will create P Tools 6.4... and that will give me all the files I need?
Guess I will do that and accept losing my plug ins... as I probably won't find 5.1.3 anywhere..
Yes, with a retail panther installer and a 6.4.1 downloaded installer, everything will work with your hardware, with the exception of any plugins that aren't compatible. The good news is that there are 6.4.1 ilok plugins that appear on the buy and sell section here occassionally, and on ebay as well. But there are a few gotchas, for example there are two versions of the amp farm ilok asset, 2.4 and 3.0. For a Mix card and 6.4.1, you need the Amp Farm 2.4 asset, the newer 3.0 one only works with HD systems.

If you know there are plugins you want to replace with ilok versions let us know, we can help you figure out what you'll need to find, or if there is not an ilok equivalent(for example Samplecell, Lexiverb, and a few others fall into the category of being OS9 only).

If a MIDI event triggers a sample of a tree falling and there's no one there to hear it, does it make a sound?
Old 06-20-2013, 02:53 PM

Its working, I installed the Mac X os and the PT 6.4.1 . Thanks!

Now, I want to get vocal pitch processing, I had Auto Tune and Pitch Doctor before. What should I look for now to get a good replacement?
Mac G4 10.3
Old 06-20-2013, 02:55 PM

Question Re: how to update 888 24 i/o; Pro Control

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rudy C View Post
I had Auto Tune and Pitch Doctor before. What should I look for now to get a good replacement?
Do Antares and SoundToys still sell versions of those plug-ins that are compatible with v6.4.1?
Old 06-26-2013, 04:46 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by John_Toolbox View Post
If you know there are plugins you want to replace with ilok versions let us know, we can help you figure out what you'll need to find, or if there is not an ilok equivalent(for example Samplecell, Lexiverb, and a few others fall into the category of being OS9 only).
I believe I need AT 3 so I downloaded Auto Tune 3.27 from the Antares page - http://antarestech.com/download/update2.shtml

It appeared to put files on my G4 hard drive but AT doesnt show up in the PT session.

How can I get a full version of AT 3.27 and is that the one I want for my system?
Mac G4 10.3
Old 06-26-2013, 06:44 PM

How was autotune authorized in OS9? I have a feeling it's not showing up because:

1. It's not authorized
2. it's not the correct version for MIX (there were versions of pt6 beyond 6.4 for HD systems, so if the plugin is newer it may not work on the mix dsp chips).

I never had autotune on my mix system, but I did have pitchdoctor, and I do have the correct installers for MIX/6.4.1 if they are no longer available. The soundtoys ilok assets for mix systems are different than the newer v3 or v4 assets, I don't think the new assets will authorize an old version, but you could check with soundtoys, maybe you can just buy pitchdoctor v4 and use it to auth pitchdoctor v1.7? or whatever it was for pt6.4.1.

Many years ago, I remember you could send in your old ultratools floppies for ilok versions of pitchdoctor, soundblender, purepitch, I think it was around $50 per license to change them out, no idea if they are still willing to do this or not. But I would email them, they might be able to help you out.

Old 06-28-2013, 04:14 PM

[QUOTE=John_Toolbox;2054781]How was autotune authorized in OS9? I have a feeling it's not showing up because:

1. It's not authorized
I did have pitchdoctor, and I do have the correct installers for MIX/6.4.1 if they are no longer available. The QUOTE]

-----

John, I installed Mac O/S 10.3 on my G4 in order to make PT 6.4.1 work. The download off Soundtoys didn't seem to work.

How can I get the installers for pitchdoctor you mentioned above? I emailed Soundtoys stating I would like an upgrade but havent' heard back yet.
Mac G4 10.3