Avid Pro Audio Community

Avid Pro Audio Community

How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Legacy Products > Pro Tools M-Powered (Win)
Register FAQ Today's Posts Search

Old 04-12-2010, 11:31 AM

Default Distortion/crackling clips

Hi all,

I've reported this a couple of times on here but I thought I'd give it another shot as it has really pi$$ed me off this time. Here are two clips of a bass track from the same session... the first one is fine (bar the sound, playing etc ) but the second (from a different take) has the distortion on it.

http://fm.stevemoore.tv/delta.mp3
http://fm.stevemoore.tv/delta-borked.mp3

I'm monitoring through the Delta 1010lt and it sounds fine... but PT records that crazy distortion. Monitoring through PT, it sounds like that but I pretty much never do that due to latency issues. So I usually don't notice it has happened until I listen back to the take. Sometimes it'll happen after a few hours of using PT, sometimes one the first go. Seems pretty random. Has happened in every version of PT8, and on two totally different PCs. Never ever had this problem in 7.4 on the same hardware.

When it happens, it's easy to fix by H/W Buffer Size to something and then changing it back - but when you don't notice it until you play back a 5 minute take, it's guitar-smashingly annoying!!!

I've tried posting on the M-Audio forums but I may as well have printed it out and mailed it straight to the moon for all the use they are over there. But I do know that other people have experienced the same thing...

Anyone got any ideas?

Steve.
Old 04-13-2010, 04:56 PM

Arrow Re: Distortion/crackling clips

Stave,
I am by far no expert on Pro Tools, but have you downloaded the new cs 2 update? The reason I ask is because I had similar (white noise?) conditions and this update worked for me. Anyways, I just wanted to ask and take care!