Avid Pro Audio Community

Avid Pro Audio Community

How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Legacy Products > Pro Tools TDM Systems (Mac)
Register FAQ Today's Posts Search

Old 02-21-2001, 03:21 AM

Default Slow Motion Finder Attack!

What's up with this? Things have been going great, and all of a sudden, Slo-Mo-Finder attacks.

Using: os 8.6, Pt 432, Mix + 2 dsp farms, adaptec 2940, miro dc 20, 128 ram, 512k memory.

Let me know what u think!
Thanks,
COCO
Old 02-21-2001, 08:14 PM

Default Re: Slow Motion Finder Attack!

What exactly do you mean? We need more specific info to help you out:

Do you mean that the Finder is suddenly running slowly while/after running ProTools, or that it just runs slowly regardless of what programs are running (or not running)?

What model of Mac are you using, and have you added/changed any software lately?

Have you run any diagnostics yet, and if so, what did they find?
Old 02-22-2001, 10:10 AM

DMR:
The finder goes into a slow motion creep, in or out of PTools. I have run Norton, Discwarrior and rebuilt the desktop. I Zapped the PRAM in the traditional way. I ran NAV with this month's virus definitions. But it happened again. I think the last thing I installed was Soundreplacer, but that was about two weeks ago.

Last night I zapped the PRAM with TechTool, and I'm hoping this did the trick. I won't know until running some sessions later.

My cpu is a PTP 225.

Thanks,
COCO
Old 02-22-2001, 11:45 AM

128 MB of RAM is kind of small these days. Are you sure you're not bumping your head on memory limitations?

Lee Blaske
Old 02-22-2001, 01:54 PM

I think not since this happens in any application; Retrospect, Jam (really the only two other than PTs I think I use on that startup drive.) These apps use little memory. And besides, this is a sudden crop up, so probably not. I'd like to get more RAM, but that's a separate issue, I think. ((I THINK.) BTW, was working for about three hours and it happened again. I moved files to another drive (on same adaptec bus) and same problem occurred. I was about to low level format the first drive, but that appears to be unneccessary. Do I need to do a system reinstall? BLECH!
At a loss,
COCO
Old 02-22-2001, 02:11 PM

OK, Lee prompted me to get some RAM prices from MacGurus; ACME RAM:

DIMM 64MB, 60ns FPM $144.99 ea
DIMM 128MB, 60ns FPM $199.99 ea

I have no idea if this will help, or if this is a good bunch of RAM at a decent price. What do you think?
Thanks,
COCO
(readying for an OS reinstall.)

[This message has been edited by COCO (edited February 22, 2001).]
Old 02-23-2001, 11:35 AM

I did a fresh OS install and this did not help. The RAM will come today or tomorrow, but I seriously doubt that is my problem. I actually got the slow motion finder soon as I did the reinstall. I ran a ram check with RAMCHECK and found no probs. I removed all old fonts as well as ATM extension. No change. This happens in the finder without opening any applications; just opening a window might slow everything down. It's weird, you see windows slowly open, kind of like a frame by frame animation running slowly. It seems to be getting worse and right now I can't run sessions at all.

My internet and other apps are on a different internal startup drive, which is why I can get on the DUC. This startup drive has none of the symptoms. I'm assuming that means it's not a SCSI issue, since I have my PT external drives spun up, and mounted right now.

I use Conflict Catcher to switch between the drives for startup (been doing this for a long time), and of course have a fresh install of it on the clean system install.

Very frazzled,
COCO
Old 02-23-2001, 04:03 PM

OK. I think it's settled. I hope. I removed a screensaver from my NON PT startup drive, and trashed all traces of PT FREE from it as well. After that I ran Norton again and it found some innappropriate bundle bit things, whatever, which were fixed. When I restarted with the PT startup drive, all's good! Do not know what to blame this on, but so far so good. Lee, I think it probably was not Conflict Catcher, since I got the slow motion finder as soon as I did the clean reinstall and before I installed CC on that new system. I hope this is it, at least for a while. This has burnt three days. I don't feel bad about ordering the RAM, I guess I need it anyway. Thank you for your help; very much appreciated.

COCO