How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Pro Tools Hardware > Eleven Rack
Register FAQ Today's Posts Search

Old 11-23-2011, 01:11 AM

Default Headphone Impedance

Hey guys.

I'm thinking of getting the Beyerdyamic DT770 Pros for monitoring an 11R.

I'm just wondering, have any of you had any troubles with volume etc using headphones with impedance which is greater than 250 ohms? (As I'm thinking of getting the 250 ohm version)

Have you experienced decent volume from them?

Cheers
Old 11-23-2011, 09:55 AM

Default Re: Headphone Impedance

I've got Sennheiser HD-600 (600ohms) and get more than enough volume. The issue is not volume, though. The headphone output doesn't have enough power to drive the phones. Bass becomes weaker etc. It still sounds decent.
Old 11-23-2011, 02:48 PM

I've got a set of Sennheiser HD-25-1's and the headphone output will deafen you. 70Ω impedance.
Old 11-23-2011, 03:47 PM

Iv owned the DT770 Pros for a few years now, super comfortable and sound amazing. They have an insane frequency response, like 5hz to 35k and match well with my HS80m's.

I dont think the 11Rack pushes them as good as a separate headphone amp would but its good enough and still gets loud. I do about 80% of my mixes at home with my headphones checking them against my yamaha's, the low end on these phones are absolutely incredible, and im hearing things i thought only dogs could hear because of the high end range.

All i can say is i think they sound great and they work for me =)
Old 11-23-2011, 09:00 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Veiko View Post
I've got Sennheiser HD-600 (600ohms) and get more than enough volume. The issue is not volume, though. The headphone output doesn't have enough power to drive the phones. Bass becomes weaker etc. It still sounds decent.
Alright, thanks for the response mate! Would it be a very noticeable difference in sound though?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dantesjuice View Post
Iv owned the DT770 Pros for a few years now, super comfortable and sound amazing. They have an insane frequency response, like 5hz to 35k and match well with my HS80m's.

I dont think the 11Rack pushes them as good as a separate headphone amp would but its good enough and still gets loud. I do about 80% of my mixes at home with my headphones checking them against my yamaha's, the low end on these phones are absolutely incredible, and im hearing things i thought only dogs could hear because of the high end range.

All i can say is i think they sound great and they work for me =)
:)

I'm not too sure still whether to get the DT770's or a pair of Rokit RP5's though. I'm primarily playing guitar through headphones/monitors, until I can afford a FRFR powered cab or something. How close does the sound achieved from the DT770s and HS80ms compare?

Thanks all!
Old 11-23-2011, 11:40 PM

Id take a pair of monitors over headphones any day, but with that said, id rather have a nice pair of headphones than a crappy set of speakers lol.

The HS80's rock and are my favorite near field monitors of choice. I think for the money they are the flattest, truest set of monitors you can get, and the DT770's really fill the gap. The HS80's are the supposed "remake and knock-off" of the famous NS10's. With that said they are similar in the sense that these speakers are really good at putting out what you put in, they are really "flat" for the cost, meaning they dont "hype" up the sound by adding any highs or lows. If you can make a it sound good coming through an NS10 or HS80, then your mix will sound great on any system, (well thats what they say lol) The DT770's really fill in where the HS80's leave off, they have an insane frequency response so i can hear highs and lows that the HS80's dont produce. So for me, they work perfect together =)

I used the KRK stuff for a while but found that my mixes were coming out thin and dull, they didnt have the bottom end i like. I feel that the KRK's tend to hype the top and bottom, so you have a tendency to roll off the high's and low's because you feel like they're too loud in your mix. Id use them for playback and to impress, but tough for me to mix on.

However as with any set of phones or monitors, once you get used to them you can come out with amazing mixes.
Old 11-24-2011, 09:34 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dantesjuice View Post
Id take a pair of monitors over headphones any day, but with that said, id rather have a nice pair of headphones than a crappy set of speakers lol.

The HS80's rock and are my favorite near field monitors of choice. I think for the money they are the flattest, truest set of monitors you can get, and the DT770's really fill the gap. The HS80's are the supposed "remake and knock-off" of the famous NS10's. With that said they are similar in the sense that these speakers are really good at putting out what you put in, they are really "flat" for the cost, meaning they dont "hype" up the sound by adding any highs or lows. If you can make a it sound good coming through an NS10 or HS80, then your mix will sound great on any system, (well thats what they say lol) The DT770's really fill in where the HS80's leave off, they have an insane frequency response so i can hear highs and lows that the HS80's dont produce. So for me, they work perfect together =)

I used the KRK stuff for a while but found that my mixes were coming out thin and dull, they didnt have the bottom end i like. I feel that the KRK's tend to hype the top and bottom, so you have a tendency to roll off the high's and low's because you feel like they're too loud in your mix. Id use them for playback and to impress, but tough for me to mix on.

However as with any set of phones or monitors, once you get used to them you can come out with amazing mixes.
Haha, true. I've decided to go for the KRK RP5's because they're fairly cheap etc. I'd go for the HS80's, but they cost a bit more in Australia, and I've got a pretty tight budget.