Avid Pro Audio Community

How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Legacy Products > Pro Tools 10
Register FAQ Today's Posts Search

Old 11-01-2011, 12:36 PM

Default TTT $299 is way to much, WAY!

We need to keep this up! $299 is way too much for an upgrade a year later, way to much! AVID needs to lower it's prices to a more far price for a far upgrade. This is a way to much for a far upgrade. Just think if they would have come out and had a $99 upgrade how awesome it would have been for them and it would have let us all know that the fazing out of TDM/RTAS was not on our shoulders or should I say buck. My gut is telling me that a ton of people are not going to pay the ridicules upgrade prices and when 11 comes out they will not be paying even more money to upgrade and then be forced to move to another product. I see it happening. I know I will be on that boat in time if they don't lower their prices.

The good thing is that now my PT9 setup is working fine so I don't need to upgrade but when the times comes I will not be able to because it will not be cost affective.
Old 11-01-2011, 01:02 PM

Default Re: TTT $299 is way to much, WAY!

Quote:
Originally Posted by microstudio View Post
We need to keep this up! $299 is way too much for an upgrade a year later, way to much! AVID needs to lower it's prices to a more far price for a far upgrade. This is a way to much for a far upgrade. Just think if they would have come out and had a $99 upgrade how awesome it would have been for them and it would have let us all know that the fazing out of TDM/RTAS was no on our shoulders or should I say buck. My gut is telling me that a ton of people are not going to pay the ridicules upgrade prices and when 11 comes out they will not be paying even more money to upgrade and then be forced to move to another product. I see it happening. I know I will be on that boat in time if they don't lower their prices.

The good thing is that now my PT9 setup is working fine so I don't need to upgrade but when the times comes I will not be able to because it will not be cost affective.
I agree, it's too much. But honestly, do we really need yet another thread and more food for the trolls?
Old 11-01-2011, 01:10 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by microstudio View Post
We need to keep this up!
No...you really don't.
Old 11-01-2011, 01:17 PM

I think a BMW 7 series cost way too much and I want one to they should reduce the price. If I trade in my old one I get a lot less than I paid for it. They only really updated a few things. Basically its the same, mine is only a 2 years old. If they only realized I can't afford it and they lower the price then I can get one. Oh and theres this house in Beverly Hills I want to but its ridiculously overpriced, I could buy another house and if they don't lower the price I'm gonna. . trust me Im gonna, just forget about that house and buy another house, same bedrooms, bathrooms and everything. How can they charge that.

(Sorry but sarcasm is the only way I can del with all this crazyness, sure some valid points made and even some concessions on avid's part but come on already)

System
MacPro 12 Core • 24 G Ram • 10.12.6
PT 12.8.1 • Mbox 3 Pro • Plug-ins Verified
4 HD • OS ssd | Audio ssd | Sample Library ssd | Storage
MAXPower eSATA 6G Card • Wiebetech RTX100H-Q
Kensington Trackball Works/Orbit Optical
Bluetooth off/Airport on and off.
Old 11-01-2011, 01:20 PM

i wish it was set at $199 for "LE" and $499 for HD. no one would complain and those that did would have nothing to complain about. $1K for HD upgrades feel absurd. we're all eventually going to HAVE TO get it, but it's still nuts.

i'm surprised how many have already taken the leap. shocking to me. i would never be that far out on the bleeding edge with my primary DAW software. i guess if i was swimming in problems in 9 i might consider it.

the real bummer is that i just realized that my mac pro (1,1) won't run the HDX cards. can't run 64 bit at all. just spoke with an avid tester about it and there will be no option but to upgrade to a new mac as well.

getting nuts...
Old 11-01-2011, 01:32 PM

After you try Pro Tools 10, $300 won't seem like that much. Seriously. It's good.
Old 11-01-2011, 01:44 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mattrussell View Post
i wish it was set at $199 for "LE" and $499 for HD. no one would complain and those that did would have nothing to complain about. $1K for HD upgrades feel absurd. we're all eventually going to HAVE TO get it, but it's still nuts.

i'm surprised how many have already taken the leap. shocking to me. i would never be that far out on the bleeding edge with my primary DAW software. i guess if i was swimming in problems in 9 i might consider it.

the real bummer is that i just realized that my mac pro (1,1) won't run the HDX cards. can't run 64 bit at all. just spoke with an avid tester about it and there will be no option but to upgrade to a new mac as well.

getting nuts...
People would still complain. The board is full of people complaining, and how pro tools isn't up to par with everyone else (Yet they are still here and upset about the price). Although there may be legitimate gripes about the price, for the most part they are not. It's now becoming overwhelming and nearly a pain in the ass for any one on here looking for real help.
Old 11-01-2011, 01:56 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by zakco View Post
No...you really don't.
Yes, we do. Do you like just pumping out money Zakco? Pump it to a good cause then, not to this disgust. A grand for HD users....it is sick.
Old 11-01-2011, 02:09 PM

Yes, and we should keep complaining, Avid should know that they now have a lot of more unhappy customers...

I am not an LE user, but as PT 9 really had nothing interesting for most HD users, I can't understand the price of $1,500 (!) for the upgrade from PT 8 to PT 10... that's really a pain in the ass. Unfortunately some new features don't even work with the HD hardware (which I bought about 1,5 years ago), e. g. the new extended delay compensation. hmmm...

So what, I will now stick with PT 8.1... :-( Like I did with PT 5.1 / Mix3 for about 10 years

Btw, as far as I know PT 10 is the last version to support my complete Avid hardware components (3 Accel cards and 192 I/Os), maybe I should sell everything and buy some cheaper ASIO compatible interfaces, which now seem to be more future-proof than those from Avid.
Old 11-01-2011, 02:19 PM

The difference is that you dont need your BMW to run your business like many of us do with Pro Tools. Many of us invested thousands just a few months ago on PT9 systems, only now to be forced to pay too much to stay current, which is important to our businesses. Its not just the money, its the way AVID is behaving ABOUT the money that upsets many of us. Not just the "trolls."

I would like to see some sales statistics from AVID. How many people have upgraded from 9? What % of HD registered units have upgraded? This would be good information to see if indeed the masses are buying or not.

Im sure this thread will be deleted or closed by DTS in the next few minutes anyway, but-- I openly challenge AVID, again, lets have an honest discussion about this-- Show us your statistics and lets see if you are making the sales or not. If you are, if a majority of users are paying, well then good for you, maybe the stock price will go up and you can hiring some folks (in America) back...If you aren't selling, well then perhaps you can take a chance at lowering the price...