Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Legacy Products > Pro Tools 9
Register FAQ Today's Posts Search

Old 01-14-2011, 05:35 PM

Default Re: Chase SMPTE (LTC) with Motu 2408mk 3 or 828mk3

Quote:
Originally Posted by funkntech View Post
Pro Tools generates SMPTE? Back when I had this rigged (this is all theory until I can get my rig goin') , I thought I was chasing vs. jam syncing, but when should I use one vs the other? I'm sure I would have chosen the same frame rate in PT that I striped to tape...Thanks
Pro Tools generates MTC, which usually can be converted to SMPTE by your sync device. Stripe 30 frames/sec (non-drop) to the tape and then turn it around and have Pro Tools chase the timecode. Don't overlook the necessary settings in Setup>Peripherals, Setup>Session, and the Generate MTC and Online buttons on the transport.

Jam sync is a method of regenerating damaged timecode. You don't need this in Pro Tools since it would be chasing first-generation MTC directly generated by the sync box.

Mac Studio, 64GB RAM, 1 TB SSD, Glyph 2TB USB3 HDD, OWC drive dock, Mac OS Monterey 12.6.8

Pro Tools Ultimate 2023.9, HD Native, Focusrite Red 8Pre

Presonus Faderport, Pro Tools | Control
Old 01-15-2011, 08:42 AM

In addition to all the good advice mentioned earlier, you might try setting the MOTU unit to use the incoming LTC from the tape deck as the audio clock source - I don't remember the exact phrasing of the MOTU menu selection (I used to have an 828 MkII), but extracting audio clock from the incoming TC should allow for PT to more accurately follow (via slewing of the PB sample rate) the minor tape speed variations of a simple, non-constant tension transport like the 80-8. This may help your problem of going progressively more out of sync as the playback progresses.

Good luck.

Larry Upton
LGUAudio
Old 12-12-2011, 12:19 PM

Hey.

I've just got an 828mk3 and seem to be having problems with it syncing my fostex r8 tape machine to pro tools using it.

I've gotten as far a recording the SMPTE timecode onto the tape but as I being playback and get the MOTU SMPTE reading software reading the tape loud 'pops' and 'clicks' begin which overwhelm all 8 tracks. I can see that the MOTU is trying to lock in with the tape but it just doesn't seem to want to.

It seems to be having trouble with the tape for some reason. If I start the timecode generator and route it through the machine while on input mode, basically sending it back into itself in real time, it will then lock in. I've tried a number of things...recording the timecode onto tape at different levels, turning on/off the noise reduction, recording it onto different channel but none seem to be helping. I've read bits about the MOTU's sometimes making weird noises to I tried downloading the new drivers but they're not helped either.

Here's what it sounds like:
http://www.sendspace.com/file/d2sztf

Does anyone have any suggestions?

All the best
Martin
Old 12-12-2011, 03:24 PM

Beware the 828mk3 will not lock to incoming ltc resolved to wordclock. You can only lock to ltc when you are on internal.

This is really [bleep][bleep][bleep][bleep][bleep] because really there are only very rare situations where you want to chase timecode and be running on internal, so what's the point of having an ltc input?!
Old 12-13-2011, 06:09 AM

hi james

i'm little unclear about your reply. if i'm on internal doesn't that just take the MOTU reading the SMPTE from tape totally out of the equation?

also, do you think i need something that can resolve to word clock? i've been told from the MOTU distributors at music track that i shouldn't need any more hardware.

seeing as the moto will lock when the SMPTE output is fedback into it's input i still think the problem lies with how the timecode is being recorded onto or read from the tape machine.