Avid Pro Audio Community

Avid Pro Audio Community

How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Pro Tools Software > Windows
Register FAQ Today's Posts Search

Old 01-12-2012, 06:13 PM

Default Is PT still sluggish with sessions with many MIDI tracks?

This was a huge problem with PT10...PT9 did not have this behavior.

It was confirmed by many people and I'm wondering now if it is fixed.
Old 01-12-2012, 06:19 PM

Default Re: Is PT still sluggish with sessions with many MIDI tracks?

What constitutes many? 200? And what do you use to be concerned with sluggish behaviour?
Old 01-12-2012, 09:35 PM

I will ditto that request for some kind of update from Avid (please?).

When I talked to tech support on this, it was listed as a bug with a high priority due to the severity of impact on work in the film scoring environment.
Old 01-12-2012, 09:38 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by filosofem View Post
What constitutes many? 200? And what do you use to be concerned with sluggish behaviour?
This was explained in other threads - the problems with record enable/stop and tempo editing delays scales with the number of tracks, starting around 6-8 here. It simply gets worse the more tracks you have.

This was not the case in PT 9.0. Any number of tracks worked perfectly fine (other than notation view which has been problematic since PT8).

It would really help me (and quite a few others I'm sure) to know if this is going to be fixed anytime soon as simply switching versions, or DAWs, presents other problems - I would rather stick with 10 and see it fixed fairly soon.
Old 01-12-2012, 11:32 PM

Yeah dterry, I was more or less determining if he was being a wiseguy hence my directness in challenging him. The bug has been reported, we haven't seen a CS release for Pro Tools 10 and as a result obviously the bug has not been fixed. Does it warrant downgrading, personally, I think not. Pro Tools 10 MIDI for the most part is more than adequate for the average user. Yes it falls short for the high-end user and it should have been caught. There's not a lot more I can say.
Old 01-13-2012, 07:52 PM

This is how I make my living so downgrading to PT9 is the only option for me untill it gets fixed. However in the last week PT9 has been acting very strange so I was wondering if I can get on PT10 yet.

My template has around 230 midi tracks, sometimes more. In PT9.0.3 which is what I use, midi works great :) However in PT10 the sessions with many midi files(which is all I work in) is very sluggish as dterry elaborated on.

I don't understand Filo, your challenging me on what? You think I'm a wise guy, how? I must have missed something. Do you use PT with many midi files Filo? If not then how does this thread seem relevent to you? I'm glad the bug as been reported, how do you know that if you don't mind me asking?
Old 01-13-2012, 08:49 PM

Violet - I'm in the same situation, though sticking with PT10 as I have too many projects started in it already. Fyi, I have found that the tempo editing problem can be bypassed by putting all tracks into sample base instead of ticks (works for most of my work when tempo mapping pre-score, but no help once a cue is done and needs adjusting - but that at least makes it manageable for me to stay with 10 for now).

I called Avid support about this last November(?) and worked with them to narrow down the repro (apparently it's only, or mainly confined to Win7 versions of PT10, but they easily reproduced it); and that was escalated to 2nd level/Sr tech support, who called me back, confirmed it, and listed it as a bug. I reported several other aspects, including the tempo editing issue and he replied that he had flagged it as a high priority bug, so it should be in the queue, but I haven't heard anything back on it since. Don't quote me on the priority level as I have no idea what Avid's methodology is for prioritizing and scheduling fixes - but at least it is known to be a serious, show-stopping issue.
Old 01-14-2012, 12:10 AM

I know that the bug has been reported in the same way I know that this bug has not been fixed by reading the DUC. If you haven't seen an announcement or read users talking about a Pro Tools 10 dot release or CS release then why would you start a thread asking whether a bug has been fixed when it is clearly obvious that it has not unless you are trolling?
Old 01-14-2012, 08:43 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by filosofem View Post
I know that the bug has been reported in the same way I know that this bug has not been fixed by reading the DUC. If you haven't seen an announcement or read users talking about a Pro Tools 10 dot release or CS release then why would you start a thread asking whether a bug has been fixed when it is clearly obvious that it has not unless you are trolling?
Filo, if this bug doesn't affect you, why are you trolling every thread about it trying to derail it?

Since you seem to spend quite a lot of time on the DUC, you should know very well that issues do not get attention with Avid (or any DAW company) without users making it rather visible. How do I know reporting it is enough? I don't, and neither do you, or the other users that this actually affects.

I just want an update from DTS or an Avid rep, either on this issue, or an expected time frame for a dot release. This affects my work, and it affects Violet's, and many others'. Obviously you don't do this professionally or you would understand that.

If you have nothing constructive to contribute, please do not post your "challenges" and reasons why we should not post on the DUC - that is not for you to decide, or to patrol on every thread here. You are just wasting our time.
Old 01-14-2012, 12:11 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by dterry View Post
How do I know reporting it is enough?
Ironically, I am trying to balance the argument, where we have users like yourself crying out that Pro Tools 10 MIDI is nose driving, beware, beware, beware, where in reality this bug only effects a small number of users. Then we get users looking at Pro Tools 10 as a potential upgrade but read threads directed solely at MIDI is taking a nose drive, they're thinking perhaps not. There needs to be a counter argument. Balance.

Yes, I enjoy spending some of my time on the DUC and I ask questions and answer what I can to help users like users help me. Primarily dealing with MIDI oriented subjects I pride myself on giving fair and balanced opinions. And nor do I pooh pooh users venting their frustrations, I've had my fair share however continuous threads on this subject is giving Pro Tools 10 MIDI a bad rap. Yes I understand the squeaky wheel analogy but you have personally called Avid Tech Support and they have confirmed the bug. You need to put a bit of faith in the system that that bug is going to get fixed soon. If Avid deem it a priority like you then we should see it fixed sooner rather than later.