Avid Pro Audio Community

How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Pro Mixing > ICON & C|24
Register FAQ Today's Posts Search

Old 12-16-2023, 11:28 AM

Default Re: Mac Studio M2 With Icon D Control

I would like to thank you for your help.
Old 12-16-2023, 01:32 PM

Backing up a bit.

The D-Control is highly proprietary to Avid, it uses a proprietary control protocol to Pro Tools and does not support HUI. And its old and does not support EUCON and was EOL/abandoned by Avid. All of which I would hope are obvious to anybody with a D-Control. I really hope this was not recently purchased hoping it will just plug and play as a control surface.

Yes you maybe need to read about the D-Control and XMon more, but if you want to use D-Control with any modern version of Pro Tools on modern Macs without relying on Rosetta then you need to be using Neyrick V-Control. Which transforms the proprietary Avid protocol to HUI, along with all the limitations of HUI. And because other DAWs support HUI this now opens up the D-Control to controlling them. So maybe focus on looking at V-Control and just trying it out. You can also search DUC for past threads on V-Control (google with the site:duc.avid.com qualifier). [edit: corrected Neyrick product name… it’s V-Control not V-Pro, but also see below]

Last edited by Darryl Ramm; 12-18-2023 at 10:04 AM.
Old 12-17-2023, 03:26 AM

Thank you for your reply. Do you think that V-Control will work with the Icon D Control and be compatible with the Mac Arm architecture?
Old 12-17-2023, 03:44 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by eliekhoury123 View Post
Thank you for your reply. Do you think that V-Control will work with the Icon D Control and be compatible with the Mac Arm architecture?
Do you actually read comments?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Darryl Ramm View Post
using Neyrick V-Pro. Which transforms the proprietary Avid protocol to HUI
Old 12-17-2023, 04:18 AM

No problem at all! I was reading from my phone and didn't notice that. Alright, that's great news. Thank you very much!
Old 12-18-2023, 08:05 AM

One other concern with Neyrick is I believe currently it only works with the D-Command and not the D-Control. I'm not sure if they have plans to add the D-Control. I don't know for sure though. I've never used their software, I'm just basing this off of what I read on their website.

Good luck!
Old 12-18-2023, 09:59 AM

Ugh you are right there, thanks for that.. I really thought they had added support for D-Control, and I think I was confusing past other threads posting about this where it was clear this was an intent/plan e.g. https://duc.avid.com/showthread.php?t=420499

It is maybe worth contacting Neyrink and ask where this is at, they are typically very helpful.
Old 12-19-2023, 11:18 AM

Already dId:

Hi,

Thank you for the inquiry. As it stands, we currently only support the D-Command surface and not the D-Control. This is primarily due to us not currently having access to a D-Control unit to test and program with. Thank you.

kind*regards,
Joshua
Old 12-19-2023, 12:24 PM

Thanks for the update. I wonder if there are enough D-Control folks to band together and commit license fees to help Neyrik buy a used D-Control. Or you know it's that gift giving time of year and Avid might have some sitting around not needed any more. And a few happy D-Control users are not going to kill S4/S5 sales

(I do want the keyboard off a D-Control, just love them, and the icons not text design, if only to hang on the wall).