Avid Pro Audio Community

How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Pro Tools Software > Tips & Tricks
Register FAQ Today's Posts Search

Old 10-05-2007, 06:31 AM

Default Changing the Reels in LE

So, this has got to be a common issue for you guys that are used to tape. What is the best way to maintain a master session IO and all the other stuff like track views, EFX and groups and stuff across multiple sessions? In other words, how do I keep all my settings and just yank in individual data for each song I'm mixing? My situation is that I've completed recording and am now in mix-down. I have a template for IO that I use but each time I begin mixing a new song, I have to import that template, delete all the stuff that doesn't belong (because it duplicates stuff) then individually assign every track to where I want it to go. It's a time-killer in the studio.

I'm sure you guys have dozens of tips and tricks on this. Do tell!
Old 10-09-2007, 01:22 PM

Default Re: Changing the Reels in LE

Based on what I think you are asking try using the "Stationary Pad" in the MAC environment. It's basically a way to establish a template that can be used over and over again without the data import problems associated with "Import Session Data" in PTLE. If you don't know how to set this up here is a rundown.

First of all, stationary pad is not a PT specific operation. You actually access it from outside of PT. Do the following:

1. Create a session in PT that you want to use as a stationary pad (template).
2. Include all the I/O information for each track and include any inserts, sends, returns, panning, fader positions, etc.
3. Now, Save and Close the session before recording anything.
4. From the MAC Finder open the folder of the session you just created.
5. Select, but do not open the session icon, then do the shortcut [Command + I].
6. This will bring up a screen that lists some information about the session.
7. Look for the checkbox for "Stationnary Pad" and put a check mark in it.
8. You have now turned this session into a stationary pad.
9. Now go back to PT, open the session again and you will get a prompt that says "Edit Stationary Pad", or "New Session".
10. Unless you want to make changes to the Pad, click "New Session". When it opens you will prompted to "save as" a new filename and location. Do just that.

11. At this point you can record or import audio files into this session created from the pad, and you can keep doing this until the cows come home.

Let me know if I left something out.

Torchlight
Old 10-12-2007, 09:10 AM

I too am looking for this answer, there has to be a way to simply import all of the settings (plugins, auxs, track heights, groups, ect) from another session to speed along the mixing process. I have saved settings within plugins, built stationary pads, and imported session data, there has got to be a better way that I am just not aware of.

Any help on this will be greatly appreciated.

Scott
Old 10-15-2007, 01:12 PM

If I understand this correctly, you have one mixdown session that has all of the track views, plug-ins, IO, etc. set for the song and you basically want to bring all of that data (minus the actual audio and automation moves) into another recording session. If the track layout is the same (ie same # of drum mics, guitars, vox, etc.) then you can use this technique.

1. On your audio drive, create a two new folders. Name one folder "Old" (or placeholder or whatever makes sense to you) and name the other folder according to what the new song is.
2. Move the new recording session that you want to mix into the folder that you just created for the new mix session.
3. In your previously completed mix folder, copy the session file to the folder that you just made for the new song. Rename the copied session according to what the new song is (ie. the name you just gave that folder).
4. For the time being, drag the entire folder for the old mix session into the folder that you created in step 1 called "old" (or whatever you called it). The reason for this will make sense later.

Now for the actual setup.
5. Open up the copied session that you created in step 3. Pro Tools should bring up a window saying that it can't find any of the audio files or fades.(this is why we moved the old mix session into the other folder). Select the skip all option. You should see all all of the old regions in the timeline but they're missing. Show all tracks, highlight everything in the timeline, and press Ctrl + Delete on a Mac. This will delete all of the missing regions as well as all automation moves. Whatever is the automation setting at the beginning of the time line will be the value for the the entire selection that you just deleted. If there are any automation breakpoints further down the time line, then automation value will ramp up or down to that value so make sure that you deleted all previous automation.
6. In the regions bin, select all of the audio files and Remove them from the session.
7. Now select Session import from the file menu and import all of the tracks from your recording session. Choose the link audio files option so that you don't have unnecessary duplicate audio files on your drive. Ctrl + Drag the audio files up to their respective tracks and delete the now empty imported audio tracks.
8. Warning: this step only works if you have Snapshot automation. Select all of your audio that you just dragged up to the new tracks and press Opt + Comm. + /. This will write the automation value at the start of your selection across the entire selection for all currently writable automation values. This step is not a total requirement for music mixing, but it could make things easier.
9. Once you save that session, you can move the old mix folder from the "old" folder to where it was before.

That's it. Hopefully that all makes sense. There may be some little hangups that come from not knowing the way you mix, but that should get you to where you need to go.

-Brad

Old 10-16-2007, 07:18 AM

Great. I'll give this a try in the next few days. I don't always have the same track layout but the core tracks (number of drums, etc.) are the same so I think this will go a long way toward my goal. Thanks for your input.