Avid Pro Audio Community

Avid Pro Audio Community

How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Legacy Products > Pro Tools TDM Systems (Mac)
Register FAQ Today's Posts Search

Old 06-08-2004, 01:50 PM

Default HD1 vs. HD2

Hi,

I am considering purchasing Pro Tools as I am going to school for Audio Engineering/Technology, would like to get certified on Pro Tools, and would like a Pro Tools rig for home. I know that Digi002 is one route for home, but I was also thinking about getting an HD1 or HD2. What I am having trouble doing is quantifying the actual difference. I am using a G5 1.8DP and have been using Nuendo so far. Will the HD1 do as much, or more than Nuendo on my G5. I am not concerned with track count as much as I am with DSP. Also, how much of a difference is the HD2 with regards to DSP? I know this is a difficult questions to ask, as it depends on what you are doing, however, if some frame of reference could be explained I would be very grateful, as this is obviously a very expensive purchase, and sales people aren't very much help at all with this.

Thank you,
Scott
Old 06-08-2004, 02:12 PM

Default Re: HD1 vs. HD2

In the current HD2 package, the second card is an Accel card which is supposedly twice as powerful by itself as a single HD1 core card. Also, the HD2 package, with the Accel card, will run plug-ins that can't be run on an HD1 system. Additionally, the HD2 system comes with a larger package of plug-ins. If you can afford it, HD2 would make a lot of sense.

Also keep in mind that Digidesign usually has special offers during late summer (when sales traditionally get slow). The savings might be very significant.

Lee Blaske
Old 06-08-2004, 02:52 PM

Thanks Lee for the advice, as to be on the look-out for late Summer Savings sounds promising I do agree, that for the money the HD2 is a better value with the plug-ins and the extra DSP card. I guess my biggest question though, will the HD1 provide more or less than a native system (like just running Nuendo or Cubase SX on my G5)?

Thank you so much, I am really appreciative!
Old 06-09-2004, 02:19 AM

I can't see why you shouldn't stay with Nuendo or go to a 002. HD cards are just the start... you need IO boxs like the 192 IO or 96 IO, a midi io and then over priced plugins that sound pretty much like host run plugins. If you have the bucks and or the work, go for it.
No sour grapes here, I run a HD3 system myself. Just look what your needs are before you take the jump.

Nick
Old 06-09-2004, 06:22 AM

Thanks for your post as well Nick. I suppose I feel like I should be buying Pro Tools so I can really learn it, and because I know that is what I will be using at school. I thought about getting a Digi002, but wasn't sure that I would learn everything I need to from ProTools LE? One missing thing seems to be Surround Sound Mixing. I do like Nuendo, and for myself am very happy with it. I don't think I will have much paying work on the Pro Tools setup if I buy it, as it will essentially be a learning tool, because everyone says that Pro Tools is used for 99% of all work at a studio, and that is what I would like to learn so I can work at a studio. Am I making sense, or should I really not invest and just get the Digi002. I hope this isn't a stupid question, as I am really torn here and really appreciate the help you and Lee gave, it means *a lot*

Plus, I still can't figure out if an HD1 will do more or less than Nuendo on my G5?

Cheers,
Scott
Old 06-09-2004, 07:21 AM

Hi Scott,
If your primary goal is to educate yourself to Pro Tools, my recommendation would be to save your money and buy an Mbox. All the basics are there and it will be a very fast transition up to an HD rig. Worked for me!
Best of luck!

Glen
Old 06-09-2004, 07:50 AM

Quote:
Plus, I still can't figure out if an HD1 will do more or less than Nuendo on my G5?

Cheers,
Scott
I am working on an old PTIII setup that cannot use native power but as far as I know if you buy one of the newer systems you can have all your native G5 power + power of your HD cards, in case you have appropriate plug ins. Is this correct?
Old 06-09-2004, 08:48 AM

Yes that is true, I see you can use the HDTM plug-ins on the HD or Accel card, and the RTAS plug-ins can be used using the G5's processor. But I am still curious what the HD card itself can accomodate by comparison?

Anyhow, it seems like for learning most people think a Digi002 is adequate, so I will definately consider that before deciding to purchase the HD hardware and interfaces.I really appreciateve everyone's help as it is difficult to know when to move to ProTools because it is hard to quantify the difference between what a native system can do compared to it.
Old 06-09-2004, 11:00 AM

Quote:

Also keep in mind that Digidesign usually has special offers during late summer (when sales traditionally get slow). The savings might be very significant.

Really ?
I am considering buying a Pro Tools HD Accel, should I wait a bit ?
When does Digidesign normally announce their special offers : June, July or August ?
Old 06-09-2004, 11:09 AM

My own take (as a user of an HD1 system) is that entrance to TDM gives you the plug ins that exist in that world (like Reverb One) and you then can build mixes that do not effect the overall system - whereas with native there are always trade offs. A G5 system however has a lot of native power - so you can look at it as a trade off between resources - if you can build good enough mixes (with effects) in Nuendo, then the G5 with a PT LE system will be great for you. If you run out of headroom, then add an HD1, If you want the really new high end plugs that only run on accel, get HD2 - each has benefits and each has a price - good luck.