Avid Pro Audio Community

Avid Pro Audio Community

How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Legacy Products > Pro Tools TDM Systems (Mac)
Register FAQ Today's Posts Search

Old 06-17-2004, 01:55 PM

Default Cost to upgrade Plugins.

Anyone compiled a list of the upgrade costs that it cost to upgrade PTHD 5.3.1 plugins running on Mac G4 9.2.2 to PTHD 6.4 running on Mac G5 OS 10.x???

We own just about every Plugin for OS 9.2.2 for HD 5.3.1....I'm scared to find out how much $ and studio downtime it will take to upgrade all our plugins (if and when we make the switch to OSX).
Old 06-17-2004, 02:28 PM

Default Re: Cost to upgrade Plugins.

Yes it is a pain, but where I go to buy my Digi and MAC gear they do it for me. If it's a big purchase like going from Mix to HD, it was all in the deal and that also includes updating all the plugins to Ilok. Same if I buy a new MAC they change everything over to the new system.

Nick
Old 06-18-2004, 05:57 AM

What company does this? I would absolutely start buying from them if they treat their customers that well.
Old 06-18-2004, 09:15 AM

Basically, what I was asking if there was way to find out (without having to go to each Manufactuture's websight) how much it costs to upgrade plugins. I'm going to do the upgrade myself.

Is there a page on the Digi Websight that has this information?

Old 06-19-2004, 03:04 AM

Sound Devices in Sydney

Nick
Old 06-19-2004, 11:31 AM

I just updated all my rooms to OSX 10.3.3 & PT6.4 and I thought the plugin updates and and down time would be a big deal but it really was not. Most of your ilok authorizations should work the same you just need to download the latest ver of the plugin. Anything that was flopy authorized will need to be re-authorized for ilok wich you must contact the company. Some companys may charge you a little update fee but I found that most were not that much$, at most I paid $150 for an update. My down time was 4 days for 2 rooms. I bought new drives when I did the update and took out the OS9 PT5 drives. I have the OS9 drives as a backup with everything still on it but OSX is working really well. Do the jump it will make your life much better.
Old 06-21-2004, 09:43 AM

Protooleo, Thanks for the info.

Here is my next question...It's a BIGGIE....

Since I will be completely changing to a new computer (G4 to G5) running under a totally new Operating System, how do I go about transfering all my current OS 9.2.2 plugins from the G4 to the G5 and complete the upgrade?

Will I have to first Uninstall all current plugins from old computer and then reinstall to the new computer first before upgrading? AND do I need to notify each manufacturer, tell them that I am changing computers and would like to upgrade the plugins in the process? Can all this be done via immediate Download? Or will each Manufacturer need to send me some type of new upgrade installation package?

Yes, I remember now that when we originally purchased all the TDM plugins, it took us about a week to install and authorize the entire collection. I'm scared that this upgrade will be just as nerve shattering.

To Claify about cost per upgrade...You estimate that each upgrade will be around $150 or Less? Does that include big Bundles (i.e. Waves Platinum, Masters Bundle, MacDSP etc)?

Thanks again for your support....This is our first BIG upgrade...therefore lots of questions.
Old 06-22-2004, 01:11 AM

Quote:

Since I will be completely changing to a new computer (G4 to G5) running under a totally new Operating System, how do I go about transfering all my current OS 9.2.2 plugins from the G4 to the G5 and complete the upgrade?

If you get a minute, just write down EVERY plugin that you have on your computer that you want to upgrade to OSX and I'm sure we will be able to give you a good idea of what will be free and what isn't. Almost everything is now authorized by iLok instead of challenge/response, so you will need to get iLok auths for some plugins.
Old 06-22-2004, 10:13 AM

To go from 5.3.1 to 10.3.2 the only cost was Channel Strip. All of the Digi bundles, Waves, etc were free.