Avid Pro Audio Community

Avid Pro Audio Community

How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Legacy Products > Pro Tools M-Powered (Win)
Register FAQ Today's Posts Search

Old 07-09-2009, 11:01 AM

Default If you have a laptop with inbuilt firewire port must you get a pcmcia/express card

If you have a laptop with inbuilt firewire port must you get a pcmcia/express card. I have been having some difficulty getting my protools to work. I have another thread "Pro tools just wont start" and someone mentioned this. Any opinions or suggestions
Old 07-09-2009, 11:11 AM

Default Re: If you have a laptop with inbuilt firewire port must you get a pcmcia/express car

In some cases yes.

Doesn't matter desktop or laptop, if the Firewire port isn't a Texas Instrument chipset then you could have trouble.

Digi qualified this model

FireWire/1394 Cards for Laptops
SIIG FireWire 2-Port ExpressCard

http://www.digidesign.com/index.cfm?...5&itemid=23113

You should also disable your wireless devices and your onboard video camera and follow the XP Optimizations sticky to turn off all background services and programs that might conflict.

If it's still not happy even with a supported 1394 card and the optimizations it could be an incompatibility with your built in graphics or Mobile Intel(R) 4 Series Express Chipset. That chipset isn't qualified by Digi and I haven't personally used it so I don't know for sure what to expect, maybe someone else with that chipset can comment.

Old 07-10-2009, 10:55 PM

Default Re: If you have a laptop with inbuilt firewire port must you get a pcmcia/express car

Which of your threads on this issue world you like us to response on?

Formerly hobotom

Pro Tools Ultimate 2024 HDX Hybrid
HD Omni and 192 I/Os
Windows 10
Intel Hexcore i7
All Samsung Pro SSDs
Ampex MM1200 2" 24 trk tape
Outboard: UREI, Eventide, Lexicon, Yamaha, TC Electronics, Orban, ART, EchoAudio, Dolby, Hughes, API, Neve, Audio Arts, BBE, Aphex, Berringer, MOTU, dbx, Allison, etc.
Plug-ins: Too many to talk about.

www.metrostudios.com
Old 08-28-2009, 11:23 AM

Everytime I open my PT files that were recorded from my external drive , even when I stop the PT tesk manager window that is searching the missing files (now that they are in my usb external drive) , they still sound scratchy distorted when I open them in my PT 7.4 ??? But when a create a new file no problem , no scratchy or distorted sounds come out!??, but when I tried to open a file that I already worked on a different computer, I keep getting a nasty distorted scartchy sound from these files ???

can anybody help me out pls!! am getting frustrated!!
Old 08-30-2009, 08:10 PM

USB external drives are not supported by Digi.

Formerly hobotom

Pro Tools Ultimate 2024 HDX Hybrid
HD Omni and 192 I/Os
Windows 10
Intel Hexcore i7
All Samsung Pro SSDs
Ampex MM1200 2" 24 trk tape
Outboard: UREI, Eventide, Lexicon, Yamaha, TC Electronics, Orban, ART, EchoAudio, Dolby, Hughes, API, Neve, Audio Arts, BBE, Aphex, Berringer, MOTU, dbx, Allison, etc.
Plug-ins: Too many to talk about.

www.metrostudios.com
Old 09-10-2009, 03:37 AM

Quote:
Doesn't matter desktop or laptop, if the Firewire port isn't a Texas Instrument chipset then you could have trouble.
I know I'm in the wrong forum because I'm running PTLE on a Mac... but I came across this in a search and the headline is really scary. Does this chipset restriction apply to Macs too, and to LE?
Old 09-10-2009, 12:10 PM
Avid

Quote:
Originally Posted by Londoner View Post
I know I'm in the wrong forum because I'm running PTLE on a Mac... but I came across this in a search and the headline is really scary. Does this chipset restriction apply to Macs too, and to LE?
No, it doesn't - the chipsets used in Macs are all supported. PC's can have a number of different FW chipsets - we require a TI for proper performance so, if their computer doesn't have a built-in FW port with a TI chipset, they likely will have to purchase a card for their system to work properly.