Avid Pro Audio Community

Avid Pro Audio Community

How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Legacy Products > 003, Mbox 2, Digi 002, original Mbox, Digi 001 (Win)
Register FAQ Today's Posts Search

Old 02-16-2004, 11:03 PM

Default OT: Recording bass guitar direct

What do you folks use to record a decent sounding bass guitar into PTLE?

I can't use a real amp due to the noise so everything I do must be direct. I have a Digitech Genesis 3 that I use for guitar. I tried it on the bass with less than stellar results. I have also tried direct into the Digi001 and that sounds a little better but still not great. Is the Bass POD series worth the cash? How about the Tech 21 Sansamp RBI? I am about to purchase an FMR RNP and RNC....how about that for direct bass? Any comments are appreciated.
Old 02-17-2004, 12:00 AM

Default Re: OT: Recording bass guitar direct

I use the "tube preamp" or "black panel" settings on my Guitar POD and get decent bass sounds. Or I record direct into the MBox with excellent results. I've tried direct into the 001 (with and without a direct box) and I've never liked the results as much as the MBox.

Being that I get decent bass sounds with the Guitar POD, I would expect the Bass POD to sound even better on bass. I've never tried the Bass POD though.

Mike
- PreSonus Quantum 2 - PreSonus Studio 24c - Mackie Onyx 1640i
- Samsung T3 and T5 SSDs - Various USB2/3 and Firewire HDDs
Old 02-17-2004, 12:20 AM

I am about to upgrade to an 002r and I assume that the better pres will present a better sound. Since you like the sound of the bass via the MBox pres and don't like the sound with the 001 I hope that might be the case. Running the bass into the 001 just has no balls to it if you know what I mean.......I am really looking forward to trying out the bass through the RNP / RNC combo. I think I need to try to find a Bass POD to audition in comparison also.
Old 02-17-2004, 12:46 AM

i just have to say

Tech 21 Sansamp RBI

u can either use the XLR outputs but i usually use the 1/4"TRS ouputs
and i use the Affected and Unaffected signals to differnt tracks and
then blend the 2 together
Old 02-17-2004, 04:56 AM

SANS AMP! ROCKS!

MONUMENT SOUND ON YOUTUBE

Monument Sound Facebook

"Changing how people hear music one track at a time"
Old 02-17-2004, 05:16 AM

I recently got a great river me1nv, which i think sounds great for bass di (along with everything else.)

I'd say get the rnp, try it out, if you don't like it, go for the sansamp. I've heard it's way better (and less expensive) than the pod.
Old 02-17-2004, 06:50 AM

Joe,
I posted a song on the HEAR it now post. I recently bought the SANS AMP RBI on a recommendation from a friend, and I tell ya! I have nothing but good to say about it. For the cost you get a well rounded sound, and a lot of variety to play with. The effects out it a nice feature. The Affected, and unaffected are very cool. XLR outs as well as TRS. It is well worth the cost.

Here is that song that I posted. I am pleased with it.

OUT OF AIR

If you can find one, try it out..... I run mine into a patch bay and then into input 8 of the digi.

Good luck,
-Doc

MONUMENT SOUND ON YOUTUBE

Monument Sound Facebook

"Changing how people hear music one track at a time"
Old 02-17-2004, 07:47 AM

Quote:
i just have to say

Tech 21 Sansamp RBI
absolutely. i bought one the day it became available and haven't looked back. it sounds great with my MTD535. its big and ballsy. for smooth round bass sound i use my fretless fender through my focusrite voicemaster. totally different sound than the RBI, but great. its not ballsy, but its really smooth and well defined.

also, you could run your bass direct through the 001 pre and use the green machine vst amp. mess around with the british tube sound and play with the cab simulator. sounds great.
Old 02-17-2004, 08:11 AM

I tracked a bassist a little while ago with a Sansamp bass driver. We used different settings/blends on every song.
I had the Sans Amp going into my GR MP-2NV for some songs and the API 3124+ for a few. The results were fantastic.
Would have been really nice to have had a Distressor or an 1176 or something as well. The plugin compressors did the job pretty well in the end though.

http://www.ephemeralsun.com
Old 02-18-2004, 01:09 AM

Thanks for all the replies guys. From your suggestions it seems that the SansAmp RBI is the solution to my problem. I am going to get an RNP / RNC combo anyway for other uses so I will give it a shot first but I think the SansAmp is ultimately the way to go.

The DUC is truly a great place for help with recording in general and not just on PT systems. It is really cool that Digidesign allows this kind of off-topic banter to occur to help PT users.