Avid Pro Audio Community

Avid Pro Audio Community

How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > General Discussion & Off Topic > General Discussion
Register FAQ Today's Posts Search

Old 09-24-2004, 05:35 PM

Default programmable trackball mouse in pro tools?

hi all,
i just bought a microsoft trackball optical, which has 4 buttons and a scrollwheel.

Does anyone know how to program the buttons for pro tools commands?

or a document somewhere that might help me?
thanks
Old 09-25-2004, 07:21 PM

Default Re: programmable trackball mouse in pro tools?

Quote:
hi all,
i just bought a microsoft trackball optical, which has 4 buttons and a scrollwheel.

Does anyone know how to program the buttons for pro tools commands?

or a document somewhere that might help me?
thanks
If the driver (probably obtainable from a microsoft site) doesn't allow this kind of thing, get usb overdrive, which will allow you to program any mouse or trackball for any number of applications. If you do this though, you usually have to dump the mouse manufacturer's driver so it doesn't interfere. Works seamlessly.

Here you go
Old 12-02-2010, 01:10 AM

I've recently upgraded and changed out my system and software, and I have totally forgotten how I programmed my buttons for Pro Tools. I had it set up so that the upper left button = selection tool, upper right = hand tool, lower right = trim, and bottom left = click. I can't find any sort of option in Pro Tools 9, the USB Overdrive software, or Trackballworks to do this.
Old 12-02-2010, 08:41 PM

I have the 5 button Microsoft IntelliMouse Explorer 3.0 and can't recommend it enough for Pro Tools. Here's how I have it programmed specifically for PT on a PC - there's a Mac driver too (I edit audio for radio and TV, I don't produce music and as always YMMV):

Scroll Wheel Button = "Ctrl + B" (This is the "Clear" command. In Pro Tools on PC "Delete" won't work on the Scroll Wheel Button although it will on a Mac. Bonus on PC is that Alt + Scroll Wheel Button = Ctrl+ALt+B which is the shortcut to bring up the Bounce Dialogue. Funny thing though, Scroll Wheel Button = Command + B and Alt on a Mac won't bring up the Bounce Dialogue even though that's the correct shortcut.)

Right Click = "B" (The command for "Separate Region At Cursor" in Commands Focus Mode)

Large Thumb Button = "+" on the Number Key Pad (The "Nudge Right" command)

Small Thumb Button = "-" on the Number Key Pad (The "Nudge Left" command)

Makes it very easy to remove the breaths and tighten up a 30 second read, which in radio we all know the scripts are 99.99% of the time longer than 30 seconds..

Cheers,
SonoBus
Source-Connect: brucehayward
Options for Remote Direction