Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Legacy Products > Pro Tools 11
Register FAQ Today's Posts Search

Old 05-28-2015, 01:40 PM

Default Elastic Audio - Missing Files after rendering - Does not regenerate

May 2015
Macbook Pro - Mavericks
Pro Tools 11

I've encountered a problem with elastic audio. I'm working on a session with multiple versions saved for various purposes. In one of the sessions I committed rendered X-form elastic audio tracks. I was not aware that this deleted the rendered files from the rendered folder. Upon opening an earlier version of the same session, I get the Missing Files dialogue, which says 48 Rendered Elastic Audio Files missing. In the edit window, the audio waveforms are grayed out where they would normally have been rendered, though the grayed out waveform is visable. I can't automatically or manually re-link, since these rendered files have been deleted from the Rendered Files folder (as it says in the reference manual). However, when I hit Regenerate Missing Render Files Without Searching, the audio in the rendered sections of the waveform disappears completely instead of just re-creating the render. Upon playback I just get silence during those sections, and the clips are blank, instead of displaying a waveform. Unrendered sections of the waveform play back as expected.

Please let me know what I can do to remedy this problem. I'd like to maintain a version of these sessions with the rendered audio that is not committed, in case the client wants to change anything.

This seems like a bad workflow design. Earlier sessions where Elastic Audio Files that have been rendered (but not committed) rely on the same rendered files that a new version of the session uses, and if the rendered files are "committed" in the new version, and the Elastic Audio "rendered" files are deleted from the Rendered Files folder, the old version of the session is automatically in trouble, unable to locate needed files.

Normally I would expect "Regenerate Missing Render Files Without Searching" to solve the problem, but in this case, the files disappear completely.

Seems like a bug.

Has any other user encountered this problem?
Old 08-31-2015, 04:30 PM

Default Re: Elastic Audio - Missing Files after rendering - Does not regenerate

Same problem! using PT 10.3.6 and 10.3.9. Rendered files, once regenerated, are unuseless, blank or mistaken.

Have to re-do all edits again and consolidate region before closing sessions with X-Form Rendered files. No other solution for me...
Old 08-31-2015, 05:12 PM

I never "commit" with EA. Always consolidate, then just turn off EA.
Old 05-20-2016, 10:34 PM

Sorry I'm late to the party here… I found a solution to this issue.

Step 1) Find the track that is missing the rendered files. Place your cursor in one of the offline regions and hit command + E (cut). Protools will create a new rendered file.
Unfortunately this will only regenerate the missing rendered area up to the next cut. If you have a lot of cuts this can be pretty tedious but still much better than re-editing!

Step 2) Consolidate the track! I personally wouldn't remove x-form from the track until all tracks with rendered processing have been consolidated because it seems that these rendered files come up missing when tracks are changed from active elastic to none… To be honest I haven't tested whether or not this is true and frankly I don't plan to. In the future I plan to use dedicated elastic processing tracks, consolidate when done, then move to a non elastic track.

Protools -- FIX THIS BUG!!! IT'S BEEN YEARS!!!

- Matt Hall