Avid Pro Audio Community

Avid Pro Audio Community

How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Legacy Products > 003, Mbox 2, Digi 002, original Mbox, Digi 001 (Win)
Register FAQ Today's Posts Search

Old 01-06-2010, 03:37 PM

Default Looking for a Few Answers/Tips with Mixing

Hey all. I'm new to this forum and Pro Tools and will probably become more familiar with you all as I progress with this new hobby. I'm a producer/songwriter using the MBox 2 Mini with Pro Tools LE 8. I've been having one major problem so far that is consistent with all my work so far. When I go to bounce the track, the volume gets turned WAY down. In Pro Tools I have all the tracks individually mixed at certain levels to where I like them. Inside Pro Tools, this sounds really great. But like I said, when I bounce the track, I have to turn the audio all the way up and that still isn't enough. Its not loud enough to compete with other tracks on mixtapes and so forth. Am I mixing the tracks wrong to avoid clipping and their general individual volume's??? I create a master fader and it just seems to be adding gain and clipping, rather than just increasing the volume of finished mix.

Sorry if that's a bit long-winded, but the more detailed the better I always say.
Old 01-06-2010, 04:45 PM

Default Re: Looking for a Few Answers/Tips with Mixing

samskimusic,

After mixing, there is another step in the production process called mastering. During mastering often times the volume is raised significantly to "competitive" (commercial) levels.

There is really nothing wrong with music that is mixed well at lower levels. These lower levels often help music retain it's dynamics. If you want it louder, just turn up the amp.

However, if you just have to have that loud, compressed finish then take the mix to a mastering engineer and let them do it for you.

If you try to master and you don't know what you are doing you can squash the life out of your music. Easy to make it loud but lifeless, how's that for irony.

Do some research on mastering.

Welcome to the DUC, Recording, Mixing, etc. You are gonna love it.

Greg
Old 01-06-2010, 06:39 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by samskimusic View Post
I create a master fader and it just seems to be adding gain and clipping, rather than just increasing the volume of finished mix.
If your Master Fader is set at Unity (0) it doesn't add anything to the mix, but just shows you the overall level of the mix.

Cheers,
SonoBus
Source-Connect: brucehayward
Options for Remote Direction
Old 01-06-2010, 08:21 PM

If you are wanting to "compete" with professional mixes, then turning your tracks over to a qualified mastering engineer is the way to go. But, don't fall into any traps, and there are a lot of them waiting for you on Craigslist, etc...Anyone promising a $10 mastering job most likely don't have any tools that you don't have and less interest in your project than you do. If you are really treating this as a hobby, then read up on mastering it yourself and give it a go. This will include adding compressors and limiters to your master faders and dithering. Don't worry, you will be doing new bounces, but you will not be doing any damage to your mix. If you don't like the result, then revert. You will most likely not be able to get a pro master, but it will let you hand out your songs to friends and have them be able to hear them.
Make sure you watch some youtube stuff on the Loudness Wars as well so you don't go down the "louder roolz" road by accident. Check out the story behind the last Metallica cd to see how even experienced pros can screw up their masters.
and read this http://forum.cockos.com/showthread.php?t=29283
Old 01-07-2010, 04:40 PM

Thanks for all the great advice guys! I took your tips and I looked into a few mastering plug-ins. I am narrowing down to which purchases I want to make but nonetheless I think its going to make my mixes sound a lot better.

I also had another question for you pros. What is the easiest way to get the most out of a bass drum/bass line mix. It seems like they always seem to compete in mixes and drown each other out. Any solutions anyone know to this?

Thanks,

Sam
Old 01-07-2010, 05:35 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by samskimusic View Post
Thanks for all the great advice guys! I took your tips and I looked into a few mastering plug-ins. I am narrowing down to which purchases I want to make but nonetheless I think its going to make my mixes sound a lot better.
I recently got the T-RackS mastering suite... its an pretty in-expensive.. from $200 to 500 depending on the pack you get... I have the Deluxe.. which has some pretty nice compressors.. but with the Standard you should be able to get some pretty nice results. With the Classic Comp lightly tapping your mix, then the Multi lightly tapping, EQ tweaking the EQ a little more if needed.. then the Classic Clipping with a Soft clip setting so you don't peak... obviosuly you don't need to use them all..

I was watching a movie from Discmakers.com(i think) and he talked about a few mastering suites, T-RackS was the most reasonably priced. He mentioned that i you aren't doing that many projects that you would be better off sending it to a master engineer for ~500 for a 12 song CD you can have it professionally done... But e also said if you were going to do a whole lot of songs and more casually then you would be better off getting a Mastering Suite and getting good at using it.

hope that helps.