Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Pro Tools Software > Pro Tools
Register FAQ Today's Posts Search

Old 10-21-2023, 02:04 PM

Default Re: Question about master bus levels

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rich Breen View Post
All the info about 32 vs 24 is fine, but to answer the original question, the math in the bus summing blocks is improved from older versions but wouldn't change overall gain in any way - 0 is still 0. Do you perhaps have HEAT enabled on your tracks now and didn't before? That would definitely account for more gain.
No, I seldomly use heat, when not in use, it's deactivated.
64 GB 2667 MHz DDR 4
Internal 2TiB SSD
Pro Tools 2024.3
EuCon 4.8.6.41 / 2023.11
UA Luna
UAD 11
UA Apollo Twin X
Avid S1 / Fire10 - 21.8.1.0
PreSonus DigiMax FS 8-input ADAT
Dynaudio Monitors
PreSonus Temblor 10 Sub

Check my Music out here:

Paul G YouTube

Paul G Bandcamp
Old 10-21-2023, 02:11 PM

Guys, gain staging begins with proper AD input levels, not dragging faders down later. When you are tracking make sure mix window shows pre-fader metering and KEEP OUT OF THE YELLOW as green has enough dynamics. When you sum green tracks together the AUX or MASTER will be hotter, but that is okay.

PRE-FADER METERING, beats me why it is not the default.
Old 10-21-2023, 10:05 PM

It's possible to record at -12 dBFS, master to -0.02 dBFS. Where is "Loudness," as you mentioned the war?

New school thoughts (such as relatively recent standards and discussions by Audio Engineering Society) say this kind of ratio might be a guideline:

-14 LUFS integrated for music masters,
with -6 to -9 peak dBFS!

Stay away from zero in the master too! Dynamics and speaker power should make for loudness and impact, while -9 dBFS headroom generously allows for boosting gain without sacrificing clarity in the goal DA chain, likewise after giving headroom in AD stage as just pointed out.

Sent from my Pixel 6 Pro using Tapatalk
||software: Sonoma 14.2 | PT Studio 2023.12 | Ableton Live 11 | iZotope RX, Ozone, Neutron | Arturia Pigments | Auto-Tune | Dubler2 //
||system: iMac (Retina 5K, 27", 2020) 10-Core-i9 | 128GB-DDR4 | 5700-XT-16GB | OWC Thunderbolt Hub and Thunderbolt 3 Dock //
||devices: RME Babyface Pro FS | Focusrite Clarett 2Pre | some AT mics | SM58 | Ableton Push 2 | Sennheiser HD 600 HP // Onkyo TX-8220 SR
||automation: SoundFlow | Stream Deck+ | Keyboard Maestro | SteerMouse | MacOS Shortcuts //
Old 10-22-2023, 12:40 AM

Oldskool says if your AD converter has 124dB dynamics, you gain absolutely nothing if you track hotter than -20dBFS, so set that as your target point. It does not matter if your stuff is sometimes peaking hotter, but that means you have 20dB headroom for it.

Math says 64bit floating point mixer is basically impossible to distort, so do your worst. Whatever sounds good is good.

Mastering... oh, well... better leave for more seasoned professionals, but if you do it yourself just drop the output from limiter to -1dBFS to avoid intersample peaks. Better drop to -2 for radio. And for TV they give you specs, which is usually -10.

Loudness? Oldskool thinking was 20 for film, 14 for music, 8 for radio/tv. Newskool thinking is close to zero.
Old 10-22-2023, 02:08 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by nednednerb View Post
New school thoughts (such as relatively recent standards and discussions by Audio Engineering Society) say this kind of ratio might be a guideline:

-14 LUFS integrated for music masters,
with -6 to -9 peak dBFS!
Huh?

If your song is registering a reading of -14LUFS integrated with a peak reading of -6 to -9 dBFS, that track is pretty damn compressed/limited.

I’d like a link to where you read that as it makes zero sense.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Old 10-22-2023, 06:31 AM

Quote:
Loudness? Oldskool thinking was 20 for film, 14 for music, 8 for radio/tv. Newskool thinking is close to zero
What do these arbitrary numbers represent?
Old 10-22-2023, 08:06 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by its2loud View Post
What do these arbitrary numbers represent?
First word of the quote you made.
Old 10-22-2023, 08:25 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by JFreak View Post
First word of the quote you made.
Ahhh. So just plain old decibels then. Got it.
Old 10-24-2023, 04:48 PM

Thanks for everyone's help on this. One thing I'll note is how my sessions have really changed over the years. 10+ years ago, I did sessions with real drummers, real kits, live rooms, and mic's everywhere. Likewise guitars, were mic'd (57/121 etc..) as was upright basses, and I even got overzealous and built a Deca Tree over a baby grand piano once. I have the picture! That was fun.

Now a days, I'm 3000 miles away from every musician and friend I used to play and record with. I've turned to VI instruments. EZ Drummer 3, and occasionally recording guitars w/ mic's (only when my wife lets me take up her small walk-in closet). Most of the time it's HX Stomp, or my amp going into a Two Note Captor X load box with Virtual Cabs. IMO those are lovely, but nothing replaces a mic'd cab.

I've really lost (and miss) the dynamics and feel of real mic's on real drums and real guitar amps.

Now with all that said:
There is quite a possible situation, where I may be over utilizing compression to get those VI drums to sound more, alive, dynamic, and real. However, I'm really conservative and keep a keen eye on the levels. I pull every individual EZ drum onto its own INST Track, so I can treat it like a real drum kit. Each track getting it's own EQ/Compression (snare top/sn-b, kick in/kick out/over heads etc..)

That is really the only thing that has changed for me. I can go back and listen to old sessions, and they sound great, and the levels are all in check.

Again, I never record over -12 db, and in mix, the only thing I can think of is over compensating compression for the VI instruments. That's the only thing that changed, my work flow remains the same. Maybe it's time for an updated work flow.
64 GB 2667 MHz DDR 4
Internal 2TiB SSD
Pro Tools 2024.3
EuCon 4.8.6.41 / 2023.11
UA Luna
UAD 11
UA Apollo Twin X
Avid S1 / Fire10 - 21.8.1.0
PreSonus DigiMax FS 8-input ADAT
Dynaudio Monitors
PreSonus Temblor 10 Sub

Check my Music out here:

Paul G YouTube

Paul G Bandcamp
Old 10-25-2023, 06:21 PM

Default Question about master bus levels

Quote:
Originally Posted by paul_g View Post
Again, I never record over -12 db, and in mix, the only thing I can think of is over compensating compression for the VI instruments. That's the only thing that changed, my work flow remains the same. Maybe it's time for an updated work flow.
OK. So this raises a lot of red flags to me.

You’ve mentioned several times times that you’re not peaking above -12dB FS, but now you’re talking about using VIs for your drums etc. The instruments you’re recording might not be tracked hot, but unless your trimming the output of the VIs down, they’ll definitely be outputting very hot. Every VI I’ve ever used has a hot output, getting very close to 0dB FS. They’re typically full of processing and ‘mix ready’ from the get go.

So, if you’re not trimming down the output of these VIs then I’m definitely not surprised you’re seeing clipping on your master buss.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk