Avid Pro Audio Community

Avid Pro Audio Community

How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Legacy Products > Pro Tools TDM Systems (Mac)
Register FAQ Today's Posts Search

Old 09-26-1999, 08:01 AM

Default USD and Quicktime in pull down. Urgent

I just bought a USD. I carefully read the manual and made it work successfully. However, there is something I was capable of doing with my previous setup (VSD and Opcode Studio 3) that I can no longer do :
I'm synching the dailies of a feature film, according to Quicktime movies, in Pro Tools. to stay in sync, the PT needs to be in pull down, but not the session itself since the Time code of the session would not match the time code that is burned into the quicktime movie. That was easy to do with the VSD. But now, I can't find a way to put the USD in pull down without putting the session in pull down. The USD always comes back to the setting of the session. What should I do ?
Old 09-26-1999, 10:16 AM

Default Re: USD and Quicktime in pull down. Urgent

This sucks I know. The only way to do it is to start your session and then switch the sample rate of the USD manually. Here is how you do it.

1) Press Clock Ref, Pos Ref and Frame Rate all at once (this puts the usd into front panel editing mode).

2) Press: Set, Up, Up, Set, Up, Set.
(watch the messages so you know what you are doing)

3) Remember you will need to reset this every time you restart that session.

Good Luck.
Steve
Old 09-27-1999, 05:31 PM

Jerome: I'm curious to know why you are pulling down to match? Are you matching location audio and working with telecine? I pull up and go from 2997 to 30 when transferring audio in this scenario. But maybe I don't fully understand what you're doing. I have the USD too.

Good Luck,

-COCO
Old 09-28-1999, 05:43 AM

Steve,
thanks for your help. it works. Very unstable though. The USD goes back to remote mode if you go to the desktop, or just open a dialog box (import movie etc)
Old 09-28-1999, 06:12 AM

Have you got your QuickTime Movies conformed at 29.97fps or 30fps. Does it make a difference for you??
Old 09-28-1999, 06:15 AM

COCO,
I pull down becaus 24fr is transfer to 30fr, and then slowed down to 29.97. To stay in sync you have to pull down. Otherwise audio will drift after a couple of seconds
Old 09-28-1999, 04:08 PM

Shouldn't you then pull up to match film speed when tranferring original film location recordings into a PT session referenced to a NTSC telecine? I do that all the time. Matches perfectly.

------------------

-COCO
Old 09-28-1999, 04:09 PM

double

[This message has been edited by COCO (edited 09-28-99).]
Old 09-28-1999, 09:47 PM

I sync dailies in PT with quicktime all the time. It doesn't matter what hardware you have, you just have to use it in a way that will work...

If you are loading digitally (DAT dailies), you will need to load in a 30 frame, non-pull down session, since the sample rate will automatically lock to the source sample rate (usually 48k). Set your session timecode to 30fps to ensure proper timestamp. Load your quicktime movie in Premier as usual, but conform it to 30 fps! After you import it into your PT session, set the frame rate to 29.97 pulldown. Your movie will be pulled-down as well, and should stay sample-accurate in sync. The difference you have with the USD is that it will not allow you to have the hardware pulled down while working in a 30 frame session. However, PT calculates timecode identically in 30 fps or 29.97 pd. It will not be the same if you are working in straight 29.97.

If you need to work in a straight 29.97 session, you will have to pull down the source and load analog, and then conform the movie to 29.97. BTW, you can re-conform the movie to different frame rates in Premier after it has been loaded. Hope this helps.

Bob
Old 09-29-1999, 07:11 AM

Speaking to that last point, you can load analog and pull PT sample rate up; and change frame rate to 30 for the duration of your film speed DAT transfers. I usually reference my DAT and my USD to black when doing this, though it's not too critical in this scenario. It realy does work.