Avid Pro Audio Community

Avid Pro Audio Community

How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Legacy Products > 003, Mbox 2, Digi 002, original Mbox, Digi 001 (Win)
Register FAQ Today's Posts Search

Old 04-16-2006, 09:47 PM

Default POD XT PRO Digital Reamping

I'm having trouble reamping digitally via spdif. I can accomplish the task analogally , but would like to keep the signal digital.

Could someone please walk me through this?
Old 04-17-2006, 07:13 PM

Default Re: POD XT PRO Digital Reamping

Does the POD have s/pdif in??? Would have thought it was an output only.

Scott
Old 04-17-2006, 07:27 PM

Yes it does have a s/pdif in.
Old 04-18-2006, 03:35 AM

Hi!

Did you examine the POD manual? I used to have the old POD Pro and it was thoroughly described how to make re-amping with Pro Tools work.

Otherwise, make sure you decide what unit is the clock master, i.e PT LE or POD - and make sure each unit is configured as master and slave.

Then connect S/PDIF in/out and make the connections in the PT LE I/O-settings and assign inputs, outputs,busses or what you need. Make audio and/or aux track utilize these POD I/Os.

Not as extensive as in earlier manuals but: Section 3 -16 in PODxt Manual - Version 2 - English.pdf

Digital Re-amping
In this scenario, we’re going to track PODXT Pro’s analog outputs, while also recording
a “safety” track of dry guitar digitally, so the dry guitar can be used later if you need to
make a tone change.

Connect your guitar to the Guitar In jack on the front of the PODXT Pro. Connect
PODXT Pro’s left and right Analog Outs to your audio system so you can record them
while you are also listening to what’s coming out of them. Play a little guitar. Hear it?
OK so far.

Press the I/O & DIG SELECT button once to see this page if it’s not already
shown:

Press the Soft Button below INPUT and spin the EFFECT TWEAK knob to choose
GUITAR IN. Select DRYGTR for the MODE option. Connect PODXT Pro’s AES/EBU or
S/PDIF digital outputs to your recorder. Do not monitor this signal while recording—
you’re simply “saving it for a rainy day” so that you can “fix it in the mix.”
Also, be sure GAIN is set to +0dB; adding gain to get a hotter signal to your record track
won’t improve signal to noise ratio or any other aspect of audio quality, and will cause
problems when you actually attempt to use this signal later for re-amping, so take our
advice: don’t do it!

Now, the idea is to record the main analog outputs to your recorder, while the dry
guitar is also being recorded on a separate track. Monitoring the processed guitar signal
and punching in/out works exactly as you would expect it to if you were recording any
other analog signal into your recording app/device. The bonus here is that you also
have a digitally recorded unprocessed guitar signal that can be used to create a new (or
additional) sound that you can use later. Speaking of which...

FEATURE FOCUS

GETTING SET UP • Re-Amping with PODxt Pro
3 • 17
When you want to make use of that digitally recorded dry guitar signal, send it out of
your recorder to one of PODXT Pro’s digital inputs, and select that INPUT as AES LEFT
has been selected here:
Don’t change (increase or decrease) the playback level of the dry guitar track; send it
out to PODXT Pro at exactly the same level it was recorded at. Then connect PODxt
Pro’s analog or digital outputs to your recorder, and you record processed guitar sound
while making whatever tone changes best fit the needs of your final production.

Cheers,
// J

Asus P5K Premium v3, Q6600, 2x2GB Corsair

Tyan Thunder n3600B (S2927A2NRF)
2xAMD OPTERON 2214 2.2GHZ

Win XP Pro SP3
Old 04-20-2006, 11:28 AM

Thanks for the reply Phobia. Yes I have gone through the manual several times but I stil can't get it. As I stated above, I can do it the ole' fashion way via the analog ins and outs, but still no luck digitally.

I'm sure it's just a tiny detail that I am overlooking.