Avid Pro Audio Community

Avid Pro Audio Community

How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Legacy Products > Pro Tools 12
Register FAQ Today's Posts Search

Old 06-15-2015, 01:11 PM

Default Re: How & Why you should remove Win 10 Freeware update.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Craig F View Post
my understanding was it was free for the first year then they back charge you
Here a quote from the Windows blog:
http://blogs.windows.com/bloggingwin...ws-windows-10/

Delivering Windows as a Service and a Free Upgrade to Windows 10
Today was a monumental day for us on the Windows team because we shared our desire to redefine the relationship we have with you – our customers. We announced that a free upgrade for Windows 10 will be made available to customers running Windows 7, Windows 8.1, and Windows Phone 8.1 who upgrade in the first year after launch.*

This is more than a one-time upgrade: once a Windows device is upgraded to Windows 10, we will continue to keep it current for the supported lifetime of the device – at no cost. With Windows 10, the experience will evolve and get even better over time. We’ll deliver new features when they’re ready, not waiting for the next major release. We think of Windows as a Service – in fact, one could reasonably think of Windows in the next couple of years as one of the largest Internet services on the planet.
MOTU M4 on MacBook Air M2 2023 Sonoma.4.1
Old 06-15-2015, 01:15 PM

Seems they are understanding the futility of trying to monetize an OS. Guess it'll be Office that's the bread winner in Redmond.

Mixing and Mastering click here to get started.
Old 06-15-2015, 01:28 PM

Not quite yet . . . they're still charging OEMs, so that will be included in new PC purchases with an upcharge to Pro of course. Like with Office, there is no OEM charge for certain classes of mobile devices, so I guess that is truly free. But hey, I'll take what I can get for now. If my current windows box lives another couple of years I'll be happy.
MOTU M4 on MacBook Air M2 2023 Sonoma.4.1
Old 06-15-2015, 01:30 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ChuckS View Post
Here a quote from the Windows blog:
http://blogs.windows.com/bloggingwin...ws-windows-10/

Delivering Windows as a Service and a Free Upgrade to Windows 10
Today was a monumental day for us on the Windows team because we shared our desire to redefine the relationship we have with you – our customers. We announced that a free upgrade for Windows 10 will be made available to customers running Windows 7, Windows 8.1, and Windows Phone 8.1 who upgrade in the first year after launch.*

This is more than a one-time upgrade: once a Windows device is upgraded to Windows 10, we will continue to keep it current for the supported lifetime of the device – at no cost. With Windows 10, the experience will evolve and get even better over time. We’ll deliver new features when they’re ready, not waiting for the next major release. We think of Windows as a Service – in fact, one could reasonably think of Windows in the next couple of years as one of the largest Internet services on the planet.
This.

It is free as long as you upgrade your eligible system within the one year window. It is yours, forever, no charge ever.

Windows 11 Pro | macOS 12
Pro Tools 2022
benonistudio.com
Youtube Channel - benonistudio
Plugin Deals
@benonistudio
Old 06-15-2015, 04:38 PM

I will say considering Windows 10 previews have been floating around for the better part of a year, and that under the hood, programs that work in 8.1 should work perfectly fine in 10. If AVID haven't qualified Pro Tools within a week of release, then clearly they are under-resourced at AVID and need to address that issue. Though, I will say I think this is apparently given the 80+ days since release of PT12 and no updates or word on when we'll see CC.
Old 06-15-2015, 06:18 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ShiftStudios View Post
I will say considering Windows 10 previews have been floating around for the better part of a year, and that under the hood, programs that work in 8.1 should work perfectly fine in 10. If AVID haven't qualified Pro Tools within a week of release...
Pfft....you don't really believe that Avid has put ANY effort into even seeing if Protools will work with Windows 10 do you?

They NEVER get on the ball until well after any new OS is released publicly. It's going to get to the point where Protools won't work on ANY current operating systems and will only work on systems that are years out of date.

This is what happens when technology companies are run by marketing and financial fools instead of engineers.

Lenovo P50: quad-core i7-6820hq, 64GB, 2TB SSD, Win 10 Pro / Protools Ultimate 2023.6 / HD|Native-TB
2018 MacBook Pro: six-core i9, 32GB, 1TB, Monterey / Protools Studio 2023.6, / DVS / DAR, L-ISA Studio

Home/mobile: Focusrite Red 8Pre+HD32R / Clarett 4Pre
Road/hotel: Roland OctaCaputre / Apogee One
Old 06-16-2015, 05:26 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Benoni View Post
. Microsoft wants everyone to move to Win 10 asap.
So that they can start a subscription for the OS? Wouldn't doubt it. Pay by the month or NOTHING works.

Guess I am getting cynical in my old age. Shoot, old age ain't got nothin' to do with it I reckon.

"If the grass looks greener on the other side of the fence, well, it is likely due to the amount of manure being spread on that side of the fence." Cowboy Bob

Squaw Creek Road Studio

Bob
Pro Tools Ultimate (2024.3.1)| Pro Tools Carbon | Sibelius Ultimate (2024.3.1)
|
M2 Max Mac Studio w/64GB RAM | 1TB SSD | Mac OS 14.4.1| (Main Rig) |
3.6GHz 8-core 9th-generation Intel Core i9 processor iMac w/40GB RAM | 1TB SSD | macOS Ventura 13.3.1 |

Avid Eleven Rack ERXP | Focusrite Clarett 8Pre X |

Old 06-16-2015, 06:58 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cowboy Bob View Post
So that they can start a subscription for the OS? Wouldn't doubt it. Pay by the month or NOTHING works.

Guess I am getting cynical in my old age. Shoot, old age ain't got nothin' to do with it I reckon.
Ha ha, no. They want to get everyone on ONE platform. The legacy of Windows is HUGE and the cost to upkeep that is enormous. That's why if you take advantage of the free offer you will be required to install updates within a reasonable amount of time or face not being serviced any longer. That may sound scary... but I always install updates anyway so it's not a big deal really.

Microsoft also wants to get as many people as possible on this new platform since it offers continuity between Windows devices, tablet, PC, and phone. With the ability to make universal apps MS is hoping to increase the numbers drastically enough to make app developers take notice and take the time to port their apps from Android and iOS to Windows. They have also introduced tools to make it much easier for iOS and Android developers to port their apps to Windows by reusing much of the same code.

Windows 11 Pro | macOS 12
Pro Tools 2022
benonistudio.com
Youtube Channel - benonistudio
Plugin Deals
@benonistudio
Old 06-16-2015, 07:18 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by JCBigler View Post
Pfft....you don't really believe that Avid has put ANY effort into even seeing if Protools will work with Windows 10 do you?

They NEVER get on the ball until well after any new OS is released publicly. It's going to get to the point where Protools won't work on ANY current operating systems and will only work on systems that are years out of date.

This is what happens when technology companies are run by marketing and financial fools instead of engineers.
This is what happens when the clients (video/storage/post production/ big media corporation) of the so called company might have invested up to millions in hardware that needs to be sure that it works before announcing to these clients which do not upgrade their os until their IT department gives the okay, that it is safe to upgrade. It would be completely irresponsible for Avid to release a compatibility without making sure that all their systems actually works with at little bugs as possible to no bug at all. I myself am still on windows 7 and I am not planning of upgrading until either the computer I will be building will no longer support that os which I know works and is stable for my work. Until either pro tools or the upgrades to my system stops supporting the OS I have, there's no reason to upgrade. Staying always at the bleeding edge of the technology is certainly not a badge that one has the most stable system, and in the end what clients want is something that is guarantied to work. But again YMMV.

Wave-T.com