Avid Pro Audio Community

Avid Pro Audio Community

How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Legacy Products > Pro Tools TDM Systems (Mac)
Register FAQ Today's Posts Search

Old 02-19-2003, 12:07 AM

Default Preparing for OSX/PT6

I'm going to use one of 6 SCSI HD (IBM 18G) exclusively for Mac OSX / PT6. My Mac (G4 867) internal HD drive will stay with OS 9.2.2 / PT 5.3 for now. Two questions :
- What should I use to format the new drive ? Apple drive setup, atto, or some OSX utility ?
- Will I be able to boot from this disk with no problems (it's on one of the two channels of an Atto SCSI card) ?
Thanks
Old 02-19-2003, 08:41 AM

Default Re: Preparing for OSX/PT6

Steve:

I got this from the apple site. Hope this helps!

Erasing and formatting your disk.

When you install Mac OS X, you can erase the destination disk. In the “Select a Destination ” pane of the Installer, click the Options button. Select Erase and Install and then choose a format. In most cases, choose Mac OS Extended (HFS Plus). Be sure you have backed up your files before you erase the disk.

To install Mac OS X on the same disk or disk partition as Mac OS 9, the disk must be in Mac OS Extended format. If it isn ’t, you need to erase the disk.

You can also divide your hard disk into several partitions before you install Mac OS X. Choose Open Disk Utility from the Installer menu and click Partition. Partitioning the disk erases the entire hard disk, so be sure to back up your files first.

IMPORTANT!

Do not choose UNIX File System (UFS)as the format for the destination disk unless you need to work with this format. If you choose UNIX File System,you must install Mac OS 9 and your Mac OS 9 applications on a Mac OS Extended format disk to use them with the Classic Environment.
(970) 663-1650
InSight Sound Web Page