Avid Pro Audio Community

Avid Pro Audio Community

How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Legacy Products > Pro Tools TDM Systems (Mac)
Register FAQ Today's Posts Search

Old 12-14-2002, 01:26 PM

Default TC Electronic\'s Master X3 vs Waves Mastering Bundle

I haven't heard much about the master x3. Does anybody have anything good to say about it compared to the Waves Mastering Bundle. I'm using the demo for the waves now and am thoroughly impressed with the EQ and L2 on their own, the C4 LP seems to be the same c4, which I love.
However, I have a g4 466 and I can't even run one instance of a c4 OR EQ at 96k via RTAS.
This is highly inconvenient, but am willing to make the sacrifice if nothing else can touch it.

Also, being that waves wasn't completely "descriptive" about not being able to run their c4 and eq on a tdm chip at 88.2 or above, does the X3 run on a tdm chip at 96k.

And another question. What is the best way to "prepare" (I'm not going to use the term "master" today, because I'm not a mastering guy or in a mastering room or do i have mastering gear) a cd track with less than adequate native processing to monitor the eq and c4 in real time at 96k? Examples...is it better to...?

a) print your unprocessed track in 96k (BTD or Record to another track), then import that into a 24 bit 44.1k session, do what you gotta do (comp,eq, limit), and dither on the end of that track on to another recorded track, then transfer to 16bit file?
or
b)jockey around with audiosuite at 96k or from from making settings at 44.1/48k...and opening up the 96k session and see what happens? Then transfer that down through the process?

Any thoughts on any of this?
Old 12-14-2002, 03:15 PM

Default Re: TC Electronic\'s Master X3 vs Waves Mastering Bundle

I don't use the MasterX3, but I do use MasterX5 and it's absolutely amazing! I'm a big fan of Waves software myself and use the Mastering Bundle a lot, but the TC provides an additional warmth and punch to the mix I don't get out of the Waves Linear Phase Multiband, although the L2 is awesome! I do feel that the Waves bundle gives me a lot more control. I find myself using LinearPhase EQ to do any surgical work, and then the L2 and Linear Phase Multiband to do my mastering.... I'll then run everything through the MasterX5 to add some additional "beef".
Old 12-14-2002, 03:50 PM

Default Re: TC Electronic\'s Master X3 vs Waves Mastering Bundle

X5 is discontinued on HD right?

If i had to choose one or the other, is the $ savings (around $500) worth it? and without getting crucified for asking the question, can I get things as "loud" without noticable distortion with the x3 as the L2?