Avid Pro Audio Community

Avid Pro Audio Community

How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Legacy Products > 003, Mbox 2, Digi 002, original Mbox, Digi 001 (Win)
Register FAQ Today's Posts Search

Old 08-03-2004, 10:00 PM

Default regarding the switch from Mac to PC

In a follow up to a previous post, a few more points of interest came up. How different is the interface (the way PT 6.4 looks)in Windows versus Mac? I understand the keyboard shortcuts differ. Is there any other points of interest?

Also, How hard is it to set up midi on a windows machine? I mean, Apple has AMS. Is it as easy to set up midi on a Windows based machine?

Thanks
Old 08-03-2004, 11:41 PM

Default Re: regarding the switch from Mac to PC

Quote:
Also, How hard is it to set up midi on a windows machine? I mean, Apple has AMS. Is it as easy to set up midi on a Windows based machine?

It's pretty easy actually. The motherboard could have a midi port. It not then there is MidiMan boxes-Midi to USB port.
Old 08-04-2004, 06:05 AM

As for look...they are identical. Some of the shortcuts are different...but the same ones exist on both platforms. As for midi, mac has patchnames as well...but if you know and understand midi and how it works, the PC works fine...you just have to deal with port, channel, bank, and program numbers instead of names.
Old 08-04-2004, 08:25 AM

Thanks for the info. For anyone interested, I did the Davec test last night with my Mac G4/800. Here are the results:

PT Version: PT 6.4
Tracks : 12 (14 did not redline the CPU, but it would never go into record) It would just lock up.
MOBO : Mac G4/800 Quicksilver
RAM : 768
Drive: 1 internal 1 external firewire (Jems) 80 gig

Digi 002r
Old 08-04-2004, 08:45 AM

Quote:
As for look...they are identical...
yes mostly identical, but the one thing i really miss on a pc that mac does is proper scrollbar movement.

they call me The Thread Killer
Old 08-04-2004, 08:58 AM

Quote:
Thanks for the info. For anyone interested, I did the Davec test last night with my Mac G4/800. Here are the results:

PT Version: PT 6.4
Tracks : 12 (14 did not redline the CPU, but it would never go into record) It would just lock up.
MOBO : Mac G4/800 Quicksilver
RAM : 768
Drive: 1 internal 1 external firewire (Jems) 80 gig

Digi 002r

Good gracious man, it is definitely time to switch... I get 32tracks plus 34 aux's with the DAVEC
Welcome to the world of PC "losers"
Old 08-04-2004, 09:05 AM

Quote:

yes mostly identical, but the one thing i really miss on a pc that mac does is proper scrollbar movement.

can you be a bit more specific...I'm using 6.4 w/standard Logitec scroll mouse, and all is fine here ..Up and down; left and right; zoom in and out...

cheers,

W7 pro 64_i7 3930K_16GB_ Nuendo 6.5.4-7.1.3 / PT 12.4 ------Mac Mini OSX Lion_PT 10.xx
Allen&Heath GS R-24M_ full rack of vintage analog boxes _UAD2_Nugen_iZotope_Melda_Waves_Plugin Alliance_DMG and more
2.0 and 5.1 monitoring
Old 08-04-2004, 12:28 PM

Yes yes...please explain...my pcs and macs don't seem any different in their scroll bars.
Old 08-04-2004, 09:11 PM

Quote:

can you be a bit more specific...I'm using 6.4 w/standard Logitec scroll mouse, and all is fine here ..Up and down; left and right; zoom in and out...
Quote:
Yes yes...please explain...my pcs and macs don't seem any different in their scroll bars.
lemix & chris -
when i grab a scrollbar in pt on a mac, it acts like a scrollbar in IE...move it with the mouse, the window follows the scrollbar in realtime.

pt on a pc - you grab and move the scrollbar, it moves, the window doesn't, you let go of the scrollbar, and the window snaps to the new position relative to the scrollbar position.

it was this way on 5.1.1, i upgraded to 5.3.2 on xp - same thing. upped to 6.1, no change. when 6.4 came out, i thought it would surely have been fixed...nope.

are you guys saying this is not the case w/ you?

you can look here to see what rail said about it.

if there is some preference somewhere that i have missed all this time - be it in protools or even somehow in windows or my video card, i will gladly and speedily confess to being a big dope - and everyone's invited !

it would be a small price to pay to get my scrollbar joy back.

but i'm not optimistic because i tend to trust rail when he opines.

they call me The Thread Killer
Old 08-04-2004, 10:11 PM

JustMe ,

Just a misunderstanding of your term "scrollbar movement "...
I do see now what you were describing. I only use the mouse wheel for navigation and it is functioning great, since V6.4. And it is "live"

cheers,

W7 pro 64_i7 3930K_16GB_ Nuendo 6.5.4-7.1.3 / PT 12.4 ------Mac Mini OSX Lion_PT 10.xx
Allen&Heath GS R-24M_ full rack of vintage analog boxes _UAD2_Nugen_iZotope_Melda_Waves_Plugin Alliance_DMG and more
2.0 and 5.1 monitoring