Avid Pro Audio Community

Avid Pro Audio Community

How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Pro Tools Software > Pro Tools
Register FAQ Today's Posts Search

Old 01-11-2024, 08:39 AM

Default DELETE Markers in Ruler BUG in 2023.12 ??

not sure if this has been reported...but,

seems there is a bug, when deleting ,Markers Ruler (Lane) ??

please see short video, for quick explanation:

https://www.dropbox.com/scl/fi/ux229...1sol66npg&dl=0

if someone can please confirm in Ventura or Monterey running 2023.12

thanks
Old 01-11-2024, 09:28 AM

Default Re: DELETE Markers in Ruler BUG in 2023.12 ??

I think this is just a graphical change. I can see in your video that when you hold option and hover over the timeline marker ruler, you are getting a small minus sign next to the hand. It's a bit hard to see because you have a dash in your marker name. Clicking on the marker still deletes it, but the graphic indication has changed from an upside down pencil (e.g. eraser) to a hand with a minus sign.
FYI, I am on 2023.12 Ultimate on Monterey.
Old 01-11-2024, 01:01 PM

ummm, graphical change, makes no sense....

so why does clicking cmd, (As you see in video)
show this erase/delete PENCIL ??

when clicking with cmd, brings up memory locations?

i think this is a graphical bug, (Assuming this happens in Monterey and/or Ventura...

could anyone confirm, real quick, and report? Avid?
Old 01-11-2024, 01:18 PM

Not seeing this here. Working as it always did.
Command brings up the pencil (but i have never used that command so im not sure if thats how its always been).and option shows the finger+ minus to click and get rid of a marker. I use that all the time.

I honestly never even saw the minus sign before your video so i dont know if it was always there. but thats prob my tired old eyes.

Hope this helps.

z
Lynx Aurora 16n Thunderbolt
Old 01-11-2024, 01:39 PM

correct me if i'm wrong but
deleting a marker, (or 1 way at least). has always been. opt+click on marker

this works in floating markers window, press opt+click marker, great

now to delete same marker in lane/ruler, it works using opt, which is great. but i don't get "See" the pencil tool, when i press down the modifier, "opt"

i think it's a bug, (assuming same behavior in Monterey or Ventura)

can anyone check by trying to delete a marker in both places?

thanks
Old 01-11-2024, 01:50 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by musiclee View Post
ummm, graphical change, makes no sense....

so why does clicking cmd, (As you see in video)
show this erase/delete PENCIL ??

when clicking with cmd, brings up memory locations?

i think this is a graphical bug, (Assuming this happens in Monterey and/or Ventura...

could anyone confirm, real quick, and report? Avid?
When holding cmd, the pencil is "lead" down" as is writing/editing. The previous graphic for holding opt was pencil "lead up" or "eraser down" as in erasing. Now when holding option over the timeline, it's a minus sign, but when holding opt over the Marker List window, it's the old graphic of "lead up/eraser down". This lack of consistency is confusing, but the functions still work as previously for me.
Old 01-11-2024, 02:09 PM

correct, lack of consistency, visual at least, is annoying, and a bug, as far as i'm concerned,

let's hope Avid is listening to us, pencil up , pencil down, whatever makes sense,
just make it the same for both, and make it show on both marker areas,

just reporting what i see in hopes of a fix for the next update, which who know when that will be ...??
Old 01-13-2024, 12:00 PM

As someone who works for a software company doing audio editing for some content and also QA for bugs, feature requests, planned work, product design, customer reported, internally tracked, etc....

In a system like "GitHub" for example, allllll of these things would be, simply, "issues"

Talking about visual consistency, there is user experience and expectation, but no code is broken, so it shouldn't really go to the coder, engineering doesn't want "hi priority bug something is broken" to fall into their "engineering repository" - instead, a UI/UX person and a graphics person would consider options, design something, and get it into the application eventually.

Bug - something not working
UI/UX - visual consistency

Those would be what I would typically see. It's just a matter of consistent language to describe things to communicate clearly. Software and Tech companies must internally keep madness to a quiet roar, or there are going to be too many options (I've participated in meetings where several people even with the exact same goal have many ways to route the signal).

So definitely, to a system used by LOTS of developers, you describe an ISSUE. And issues need resolving, issues need closing, issues need elevation.

For example, to someone else, nothing at all is broken, and same buttons do same thing and I consider a slight icon change to be a good idea, a great idea, an awesome idea, too! But I don't really call it a bug.

That's just language. Anyway....

Did you make a feature request on Avid's support form? I totally suggest doing so, because then their QA team can capture your due, respectable response to the application and send it the right direction for consideration.

Perhaps, if you don't, it will be lost here for some time until someone does.
||software: Sonoma 14.2 | PT Studio 2023.12 | Ableton Live 11 | iZotope RX, Ozone, Neutron | Arturia Pigments | Auto-Tune | Dubler2 //
||system: iMac (Retina 5K, 27", 2020) 10-Core-i9 | 128GB-DDR4 | 5700-XT-16GB | OWC Thunderbolt Hub and Thunderbolt 3 Dock //
||devices: RME Babyface Pro FS | Focusrite Clarett 2Pre | some AT mics | SM58 | Ableton Push 2 | Sennheiser HD 600 HP // Onkyo TX-8220 SR
||automation: SoundFlow | Stream Deck+ | Keyboard Maestro | SteerMouse | MacOS Shortcuts //