Avid Pro Audio Community

Avid Pro Audio Community

How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Pro Tools Software > Pro Tools
Register FAQ Today's Posts Search

Old 10-30-2022, 03:30 PM

Default Instrument Tracks Volume Won’t Adjust Unless I Solo Track??

Hi guys,

Ran into a weird issue where all of a sudden my instrument tracks appear to be stuck at one volume, the faders on those tracks and even the synths bus track doesn’t work. What’s more is that even if I hit bypass on the virtual instrument, I still hear the track playing! Mute button doesn’t work either. Only when I hit solo on the synth bus track with the virtual instruments tracks also soloed am I able to turn things up or down again. But then as soon as I go out of solo mode it’s back to being loud and unable to control. I also tried changing the bus settings, like going to a different bus, but to no avail.

Strangely, this is only happening on around 2 or 3 (out of 10) songs. The other I songs, I’m not having this issue with the instrument tracks, and the instrument track settings appear to be the same across the board bc I used the same template to set everything up.

Any suggestions on what could be causing this??

Thanks!
Old 10-30-2022, 03:50 PM

Default Re: Instrument Tracks Volume Won’t Adjust Unless I Solo Track??

Automation problem? Do controls move back after you move them? What automation mode is the instrument track in?

Are there sends of multiple outputs going out the VI?

Did trashing prefs do anything? Save Session In?
Old 10-30-2022, 04:13 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Darryl Ramm View Post
Automation problem? Do controls move back after you move them? What automation mode is the instrument track in?

Are there sends of multiple outputs going out the VI?

Did trashing prefs do anything? Save Session In?
Hi Darryl, the faders do NOT move back after I adjust them. Even if fader is all the way down, I still hear audio.

Photo attached of the bus settings.

I’m not sure off-hand what automation mode the instrument track is on, but I’ll check tonight when I go to the studio.

Usually if there’s automation the faders will bounce back but that’s not happening here.

I have not tried trashing prefs. Is there any danger in that? I’m recording an album so want to make sure I’m not deleting important info.

Thanks!
Attached Images
File Type: jpg E398B0DC-F288-4646-8F85-187EBFDE3A77.jpg (27.5 KB, 0 views)
Old 10-30-2022, 07:59 PM

You can move prefs files out of the way/rename them as backups when you trash them by hand, or PT Prefs (Mac) or Trasher (Windows) will make backups for you. If it does not fix the problem them move the pref files back.
Old 11-01-2022, 02:52 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Darryl Ramm View Post
You can move prefs files out of the way/rename them as backups when you trash them by hand, or PT Prefs (Mac) or Trasher (Windows) will make backups for you. If it does not fix the problem them move the pref files back.
I figured out what it was tonight and it was the silliest thing… I had converted the instrument tracks to audio tracks a few days prior, and had those audio tracks hidden.

Well apparently they were still active even though hidden, so I was hearing the (hidden) audio tracks when I thought it was still the instrument tracks. As I muted those tracks, i realized there was nothing wrong with the instrument tracks or faders after all.

So silly, but glad it finally occurred to me! Thanks again for your suggestions.