Avid Pro Audio Community

Avid Pro Audio Community

How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Pro Tools Hardware > Eleven Rack
Register FAQ Today's Posts Search

Old 11-27-2011, 03:07 PM

Default Can I use M-Audio Firewire 410 to simply route 11R to my Rokits?

Is this possible and/or advisable, and if yes, how.

My main studio monitors are a pair of KRK Rokits that are typically plugged into my M-Audio Firewire 410's rear TRS outputs 1 & 2. The M-Audio has 8 TRS unbalanced outputs as well as optical S/PDIF and RCA-type S/PDIF. It has has two TRS/XLR combo line level inputs too.

Since I use my M-Audio FW 410 more often, to avoid having to unplug the monitors and replug into 11R, can I take the OUPUT to AMP from the 11R and input it into the FW 410 so I can use the 410 as a router for the 11R to my Rokit monitors?

I hope this doesn't earn me a RTFM flame, but for in the studio use of the 11R, does it make a difference if I use the Outamp or XLR Main Outputs?

Now that I read it, probably not since the signal would get preamped twice - by 11R and 410?
Old 11-27-2011, 07:07 PM

Default Re: Can I use M-Audio Firewire 410 to simply route 11R to my Rokits?

The best solution by far is to plug your 11R digital spidf out to the Profire spidf in. This gives you absolutely the best sound quality, as you can avoid an unneeded extra step of analog/digital conversion.

It also makes it easy to record guitar. With your Profire as the interface, just set up an audio track in Protools and set the input to be spidf in. Then plug your guitar into your 11R and record away.
Old 11-27-2011, 09:30 PM

I think if I'm not wrong. I kinda have the same set up with a Focusrite Saffire 24 on a Windows machine which has my speaker connected to. My 11Rack is on a mac. It works, why should it not.
I use LEFT main XLR output from 11Rack into Inst (just another mic input) of the Saffire, shown in the picture below. Make sure you do not turn on the phantom power on your Firewire if it has one, I believe it will destroy your 11Rack. This is a better approach than spdif since I can have my saffire on (adapter power)without having my windows machine turned on. I turn on my mac and play around with Pro Tool, don't have to turn on the windows machine. I can when I want to for 2 machine recording. Or you can just work with 11Rack and Saffire on, no computer needed.
http://www.freeimagehosting.net/16576
Old 11-27-2011, 09:42 PM

Location: Current: Ikebukuro, Tokyo, Hails from: San Francisco

going into another mic input/pre colors the signal of your 11R. Best results are found using SPDIF where there is no extra conversion. You also sync the clocks through SPDIF as well.
RME Fireface 800
Eleven Rack
Old 11-27-2011, 10:20 PM

OK..I take that back. Just hooked up through spdif and it is way better. Now I got to tweak all the presets again. Well good to know. Yea, forget about the mic input, use spdif instead.
Old 11-30-2011, 10:21 PM

Sounds like the way to go. Thanks.
Old 12-01-2011, 07:24 PM

New findings..
I thought spdif was better after I hooked it up initailly. All of my presets sounded fizzy,the volume was louder though...hence I thought it was better. But after tweaking for days, that slight fizzy sound did not go away. So I connect my monitor straight into 11Rack, no fizz, almost sounded identical to my initial setup (through the 2nd sound interface...Saffire 24 as shown in the picture earlier). So it is obvious the spdif in in my Saffire is not worth it. After searching many forum, people seem to agree that it depends on the quality of the product. Some people have no fizz at all through spdif, many seem to have one (that includes me). So beware...don't know how your Firewire 410 spdif in will sound. Good luck.
Old 12-01-2011, 07:30 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vhoot View Post
New findings..
I thought spdif was better after I hooked it up initailly. All of my presets sounded fizzy,the volume was louder though...hence I thought it was better. But after tweaking for days, that slight fizzy sound did not go away. So I connect my monitor straight into 11Rack, no fizz, almost sounded identical to my initial setup (through the 2nd sound interface...Saffire 24 as shown in the picture earlier). So it is obvious the spdif in in my Saffire is not worth it. After searching many forum, people seem to agree that it depends on the quality of the product. Some people have no fizz at all through spdif, many seem to have one (that includes me). So beware...don't know how your Firewire 410 spdif in will sound. Good luck.
Having proper cables is also paramount for S/PDIF. As well as setting the clock source properly in Pro Tools.

D
a n t h e I n c r e d i b l e S o u n d M a n

"Svetlana" v1 - 4.2GHz i7, 16GB RAM, OSX 10.7.4
Liquid Saffire 56 - PT10.2 - BFD2, VCC, Duende Native, Play 3.0

_C U R R E N T-D V E R B-S C O R E:515
Old 12-01-2011, 07:31 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vhoot View Post
New findings..
Did you set the clock source correctly when you had it hooked up with SPDIF? If not, that could be your fizzy issue. Were you using two SPDIF cables or just one? Were they proper SPDIF cables (75ohm) or just RCA cables? While RCA cables do work, they are not ideal, you really should purchase Digital Audio/Digital Coaxial/SPDIF cables.

Windows 11 Pro | macOS 12
Pro Tools 2022
benonistudio.com
Youtube Channel - benonistudio
Plugin Deals
@benonistudio
Old 12-01-2011, 10:45 PM

got it folks, the sample rates between the 2 sound interface did not match, hence the slight fizz. It works now. You guys have been amazing, THANKS.