How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Pro Tools Hardware > Eleven Rack
Register FAQ Today's Posts Search

Old 11-20-2011, 06:47 AM

Default Just set up a Mac for the first time, please

lend me a hand.

I am trying to use the Eleven rack as my sound card. I cannot seem to find a way to get this right. I see Eleven in my system preferences and I can go to sounds and select Eleven as my input. But whether I chose Avid Core or Pro Tools Aggregate I/O for the output I cannot generate any sound.

Also, in Pro Tools, the inputs in the mixer state Built In Mic 1 2 and Built In Input 1 2.

Man, for a 20 year PC guy this is frustrating cause I have no idea what to do?

iMac 5
Pro Tools 10
Eleven Rack
Mackie Speakers

Any help would be appreciated!
Old 11-20-2011, 07:29 AM

Location: Current: Ikebukuro, Tokyo, Hails from: San Francisco
Default Re: Just set up a Mac for the first time, please

The "System Preferences" window of OSX is different than what PT will use to output sound.

To get PT to use your 11R as the interface: with PT open, select "Setup", and then "Playback Engine". From here select "Eleven Rack" If you have a session currently open, it will prompt you to save your session, and restart it. This is ok, click yes and proceed.

If your I/O continues to show the "Built-in" I/O's, go to "Setup" and click "I/O" You can either "default" the I/O, or just load in the Eleven Rack I/O template that is installed with PT. After this the I/O should be correct.

You don't need to worry about Avid Core, and Pro Tools Aggregate I/O is something else entirely.
RME Fireface 800
Eleven Rack
Old 11-20-2011, 07:32 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sam C View Post
lend me a hand.

I am trying to use the Eleven rack as my sound card. I cannot seem to find a way to get this right. I see Eleven in my system preferences and I can go to sounds and select Eleven as my input. But whether I chose Avid Core or Pro Tools Aggregate I/O for the output I cannot generate any sound.

Also, in Pro Tools, the inputs in the mixer state Built In Mic 1 2 and Built In Input 1 2.

Man, for a 20 year PC guy this is frustrating cause I have no idea what to do?

iMac 5
Pro Tools 10
Eleven Rack
Mackie Speakers

Any help would be appreciated!
Would you please follow the forum rules and not waste people's time by cross posting messages.

(he has already fixed the problem elsewhere).

Darryl
Old 11-20-2011, 09:58 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by madgt621 View Post
The "System Preferences" window of OSX is different than what PT will use to output sound.

To get PT to use your 11R as the interface: with PT open, select "Setup", and then "Playback Engine". From here select "Eleven Rack" If you have a session currently open, it will prompt you to save your session, and restart it. This is ok, click yes and proceed.

If your I/O continues to show the "Built-in" I/O's, go to "Setup" and click "I/O" You can either "default" the I/O, or just load in the Eleven Rack I/O template that is installed with PT. After this the I/O should be correct.

You don't need to worry about Avid Core, and Pro Tools Aggregate I/O is something else entirely.
Thanks for the info. I was really out of patience this AM trying to understand a computer that I brought home late last night and set up starting at 5AM. I am a very experienced player/recording person...with Pro Tools and Windows so this has been tough trying to get too much done before I leave for a week tomorrow...I know, my problem not yours.

Any way I am starting to get a bit of a feel for the Mac but I will probably be back with more questions.

Thanks again.
Old 11-20-2011, 10:01 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Darryl Ramm View Post
Would you please follow the forum rules and not waste people's time by cross posting messages.

(he has already fixed the problem elsewhere).

Darryl
You are saying it in a plural fashion. I think the only people pissed and wasting time is you. Hopefully you kind find a more significant reason to be pissy.
Old 11-20-2011, 09:07 PM

This is a user forum, other users here genuinely want to help but when people cross post stuff it typically ends up with multiple threads going off in different directions. Just post once and you'll often get a quick reply. Cross posting does waste people's time. I'd hope you've been on DUC long enough to see the problem with that.

I was tryign to help you in the other thread, and to let other posters in this thread know things were addressed elsewhere.

Darryl
Old 11-21-2011, 05:40 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Darryl Ramm View Post
This is a user forum, other users here genuinely want to help but when people cross post stuff it typically ends up with multiple threads going off in different directions. Just post once and you'll often get a quick reply. Cross posting does waste people's time. I'd hope you've been on DUC long enough to see the problem with that.

I was tryign to help you in the other thread, and to let other posters in this thread know things were addressed elsewhere.

Darryl
That's what moderators are for. No one asked you to be a self appointed traffic cop here. Stay in your lane.